Fabulous Salads to make now in Winter
Healthful Salads using the Freshest Ingredients available in Winter. Hearty and loaded with fiber and natural goodness.
Say NO to boring salads!
Learn how to combine crisp ingredients with special vinaigrettes to make Winter blues a little more exciting & delicious!
Salads with Chicken:
Packed with Zesty Flavor, Crunchy Texture – a Salad to Savor! A refreshing mix of Fennel, Vadalia Onions, Fresh Peaches, Local Cucumbers & Perfect Grilled Lemony Marinated Chicken.
Use Winter Fruits (such as citrus or pears) here as peaches are not necessarily at their peak flavor.
Glorious Flattened Chicken Breasts are bathed in a Zesty & Pungent Peruvian Citrus Marinade and simply grilled. Add lettuces and a raw vegetable salad for a healthy meal. Citrus is NOW in season!
Salads with Seafood:
A Restaurant Quality meal you can make at home!
Featuring Pistachio Crusted Fish with a Grapefruit-Butter Sauce and Composed Grapefruit Salad.
A Mix of Healthy Lettuces with Ruby Grapefruit Segments Lacquered with a Zesty Citrus Vinaigrette.
Lovely on its own as a side salad… or top the Pistachio Crusted Bronzino.
Ginger-Grapefruit Vinaigrette – I like using Red Ruby Grapefruit Juice for its punch of crimson color.
Add all ingredients except oil; drizzle in oil slowly until emulsified.
Serve this tender and delicious salmon over mixed greens!
Hibiscus Tea Ofers a deep pink color with sweet and tart flavors – the perfect base for poaching Salmon. Glaze the finished fish with Thai Chili Sauce then spoon over a Creamy Tzatziki.
An easy and pungent marinade transforms Shrimp with intense flavor. Simply grill with sesame seeds in a cast iron skillet. Add a simple glaze or use as part of a Spa Salad with Roasted Veggies, Rice Noodles and an Asian Orange-Sesame Vinaigrette. A Lightened-Up Version!
See: Karen’s Spa Asian Orange-Sesame Vinaigrette A blast of flavors with a citrus essence – a flavorful vinaigrette! Lighter in calories; with less oil. So many uses… I love it drizzled over my Spa Salad with Spicy Grilled Citrus Shrimp & Rice Noodles.
More fabulous Salads!
I’m combining many types of Citrus and teaming them with Shaved Fennel and Mint.
Drizzling on top with a delicious Citrus Vinaigrette with Vanilla Beans.
Refreshing and light – a ray of sunshine in Winter!
A quick, delightfully crunchy cucumber salad with a Thai twist. Incredibly refreshing and pairs with many Asian main courses and soups.
Shaving vegetables brings a nice look and texture to a salad. Shave with a sharp, wide vegetable peeler… so easy and fun. I like to have watermelon and purple daikon radishes in my fridge, they are great keepers and add a blast of gorgeous color and zippy flavor. Lots of crunch with a Zesty Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette!
It’s Winter Citrus Season – these low acid, sweet Cara Cara navel oranges entice a Caesar-style dressing with zest! A Wonderful – Simple Salad with crunch and a daily dose of garlic.
The perfect winter salad with Little Gem Lettuce, Garlic-Parmesan Toasts, Cara Cara Oranges and my “Caesar-ish” Dressing.
Chock full of antioxidants and complementary flavors! The Roasted Garlic Tahini Dressing is a game-changer for every cook, full of zesty-robust tang. I enjoy serving with spiced grilled chicken for a main course salad.
See to my: Roasted Garlic Tahini Dressing and Dip to drizzle on EVERYTHING!
Healthful, good-for-you ingredients with amazing flavors. Say “YES” to more plant-based foods in your regime.
Great textures and colors with raw, roasted and toasted ingredients.
We all would like to “be healthier” and live a long, productive and happy life.
A whole-foods, plant–based diet is a way of eating that celebrates plant foods and cuts out unhealthy items like added sugars and refined grains.
Also see: Lemony Extra Virgin Olive Oil Dressing with Many Uses – a zesty and healthy dressing you whisk and refrigerate. Drizzle on lettuces, composed salads and serve on the side of roasted vegetables or fish.
A beautiful, crispy and crunchy salad with Winter-White Vegetables. Chioggia Beets add a touch of crimson color, as does the rind of the Pears and Black Radish.
Also see my: Pink Peppercorn Vinaigrette –a Zesty Pink Peppercorn Vinaigrette adds tang and bite.
Pink Peppercorns have a fruity and peppery flavor. They aren’t actually, in fact, a member of the peppercorn family, but are the berries of Peruvian pepper tree that grows throughout South America.
Buy them whole and grind in a spice grinder, crush with a rolling pin in-between a piece of waxed paper… or buy ground.
My version of they healthy Middle Eastern Salad spiked with a melange of Vegetables is tossed in a Zesty Lemony- Scallion Dressing. One of the healthiest salads you can eat. Refreshing and Addictive!
My favorite winter ingredients together in a salad worthy of entertaining. Bitter and sweet flavors with crunch and a decadent dressing. Also see my: Pomegranate-Macadamia Vinaigrette- A Vinaigrette with a tart- sweet flavor – macadamia oil adds a buttery and luxurious taste.
Caramelized Roasted Eggplant teams up with Peppers, Cucumbers, Olives, Parsley, Mint, Toasted Almonds, Crispy Shallot Rings and a Zesty Meyer Lemon-Ginger Dressing – A Healthy Mediterranean Twist!
There is nothing better than a Fattoush Salad with seasonal, glistening vegetables! Pita bread is toasted in the oven with olive oil and Za’atar seasoning and tossed into the salad. Finish with a Zesty Lemony Sumac Dressing.
I do find nice tomatoes from Mexico in the Winter.
Enjoy the delicious, crisp flavors of Winter Salads!
If you like these recipes, SUBSCRIBE (here) to my newsletter ~ never miss a recipe!
Peruvian Grilled Chicken Paillard with Citrus, Herb & Aji Amarillo Pepper Marinade
- 2.15 pounds; 4 boneless chicken breasts boneless chicken breast trimmed of fat
- 1/2 cup Peruvian Citrus & Herb Marinade with Aji Amarillo Peppers (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil expeller pressed, such as Safflower Oil
- Make the Peruvian Citrus, Herb & Aji Amarillo Pepper Marinade. You will use half for the marinade. (I make a salad dressing with the remainder.)
- Clean and dry chicken, trim of excess fat. Butterfly chicken: place a chicken breast on a cutting board. With a sharp knife cut the chicken breasts almost in half horizontally - and open up like a book. Set aside on a plate, continue with the next three.
- Place each on a cutting board - cut side up, lined with a piece of parchment paper. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Using a meat pounder, pound thin using down and out strokes. Make sure they are a uniform thickness. Add to a plate. Continue with the next three.
- Add 1/2 cup of marinade to the chicken to cover all. Wrap well, refrigerate ONE hour. (An acidic marinade cam begin to "cook" the chicken the chicken and make it tough if marinated too long.)
- Heat a grill pan - brush with some oil to cover the grates - set heat to high. When good and hot - add a marinated chicken breast, cut side up to the pan. Do not move around! Let cook and develop strong grill marks - about 4 minutes. Peek underneath, turn over with tongs. Turn heat down to medium to cook second side and cook until firm and cooked through, about 2 minutes - remove to a clean plate. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken. Repeat with the rest of the chicken, cleaning the pan when necessary. Sprinkle the tops of the chicken with salt if desired.
- Serve the chicken warm, or cool and refrigerate. Cut the chicken in half, or can cut into strips.
- Add the remaining marinade in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in an equal amount of extra virgin olive oil to make a flavorful vinaigrette. Serve the chicken as part of a salad - or simply dip in the vinaigrette!
- Grilled Chicken Paillard marinated in my Peruvian Citrus, Herb & Aji Amarillo Pepper Marinade
- Organic Arugula Leaves
- Organic Green Lettuce
- Red & Green Radishes - sliced thinly
- Purple Haze Carrots - sliced thinly
- Honey Mango - diced
- Orange & Lime Slices
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Peruvian Vinaigrette - whisk HALF marinade with Extra Virgin Olive Oil