A zesty and healthy dressing you whisk and refrigerate. Drizzle on lettuces, composed salads and serve on the side of roasted vegetables or fish.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice*
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, peeled, finely grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, peeled, finely grated or minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dijon mustard, (no “natural flavors”)
- ½ teaspoon himalayan pink salt, or sea salt, adjust to your taste if necessary
- 6 cranks freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning, crushed with you fingers
- ½ teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil**, plus 2 tablespoons
Add first 9 ingredients in a 3 cup bowl (lemon juice through red wine vinegar.)
Whisk with a balloon whisk and set aside 15 minutes to macerate ingredients.
Add 1/2 cup plus 2 T. extra virgin olive oil in a measuring cup.
To finish dressing:
Add the olive oil in a thin stream slowly while whisking – add about 1/3 of the contents.
Add the remaining olive oil, streaming a little quicker, while whisking until emulsified.
Store dressing in a sterile glass container in the refrigerator.
Let stand for 24 hours before using.
The dressing will thicken – properties in the extra virgin olive oil.
Extra-virgin olive oil is comprised of mostly monounsaturated fats which solidify when cold.
Take out of the refrigerator a few minutes before using – it will warm up and flow nicely.
* I used one large, juicy lemon (should yield 1/4 cup of juice.)
** Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Good everyday choices; Lucini and California Olive Ranch – fruity, grassy and herbal notes.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Makes: 3/4 cup +2 T.