There is nothing better than a Fattoush Salad in Summer with seasonal, glistening vegetables! Pita bread is toasted in the oven with olive oil and Za’atar seasoning and tossed into the salad. Finish with a Zesty Lemony Sumac Dressing
This is a wonderfully, healthy salad you can tailor to your taste… toss in fresh farmers’ market seasonal ingredients and make it your own!
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, use the hearts if desired
- ½ cup fresh radishes, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup cucumbers, very thinly sliced (I used Persian cucumbers & White cucumbers)
- 1 cup summer tomatoes, use different colors, some sliced, some in wedges
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, tender leaves and stems
- ¼ cup fresh mint, small leaves
- ¼ cup red onion, or red scallion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup grilled baby eggplant, sliced 1″ pieces (optional)
- ½ cup feta cheese, (I used an Israeli type) crumbled or sliced
- 2 medium fresh pita breads, cut or torn into 1″ pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, (extra for the eggplant)
- 2 teaspoons Za’atar seasoning* (see note)
- 1 recipe Zesty Sumac & Lemon Dressing
Wash Lettuce. Clean and slice vegetables.
Grill eggplant if using, cool
Make Pita Croutons.
Make Salad dressing.
Slice to medium, slender eggplants in half. Brush liberally with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt & pepper.
Grill over medium heat until strong grill marks form. Turn over with tongs, turn heat down to low.
Cook until the flesh is tender. remove to a plate. Toss in 1 teaspoon of Za’atar seasoning. Add a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Cool. Cut into 1″ pieces.
Pita Croutons: (Can use a rustic bread if preferred.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cut pita into 1 1/2″ pieces, add to a rimmed baking sheet to hold.
Drizzle in 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, run in well. Toss with 1 teaspoon Za’atar seasoning.
Bake in oven about 5 minutes until the edges are golden, but not too crisp inside. Set aside.
Make the Zesty Lemon – Sumac Dressing (can be made a head of time.)
Wash and dry the lettuce. Trim ends, cut each in 1/4/s lengthwise, then slice a 1″ wide.
Place in a large bowl.
Add radishes, cucumbers, parsley and mint.
Top with eggplant, pita croutons and finally feta cheese.
Drizzle dressing all around and mix in. Let the dressing sit for a few minutes to distribute its flavor.
Sprinkle with extra Sumac seasoning if desired. (Has a nice tart flavor and pretty color.)
Serve and enjoy!
*Za’atar Seasoning is an intensely aromatic and ancient spice blend and condiment with eastern Mediterranean spices. Fabulous rubbed into poultry, mix with olive oil for a delicious spread – use with bread, dips, hummus, vegetables, meat, salad dressings and salad.
Try my recipe, or purchase in a better grocery store.
See BLOG for many more photos and information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.