15 Super Bowl Party Food Recipes – And Yes – They’re a Little Healthier
Crowd-Pleasing Updated Party Foods with a Healthier Twist that all will enjoy.
I might not be your source for Chicken Wing Recipes… BUT here are some SPECTACULAR Game-Day party suggestions with Less Calories, Carbs, Sodium, Fat & Preservatives – Will help you feel good without sacrificing flavor!
A nice shift from the same old appetizers and heavy, uninspired so called “party pleasers.”
Nachos are Necessary
1. Grilled Chicken Buffalo Nachos (Vegetarian version too)
Better For You Nachos:
Ditch the FRIED CHICKEN WINGS OR NACHOS loaded with ground beef and smothered in cheese…
- Organic Blue Corn Tortillas – or your favorite type
- YES to Veggies! Yellow Peppers, Tomatoes and Scallions
- Freshly-grilled chicken cubes in your favorite hot sauce
- Lingering “Buffalo” flavors
- Dotted blue cheese on top of the nachos
- Cheese Sauce – gluten free option (which I make)
Who Doesn’t Love Shrimp??
2. Spicy Citrus Chili Shrimp and what to do with them (hint: put a skewer in them)
An easy and pungent marinade transforms Shrimp with intense flavor.
- An easy and pungent marinade
- Simply grill shrimp with sesame seeds in cast iron skillet
- Serve in a bowl on top of a pool of: Citrus Chili Glaze
- Lighten up version: serve in a bowl over a pool of Asian Orange-Sesame Vinaigrette
3. Skewered Shrimp Scampi Appetizer
Sautéed Shrimp in a Hearty Garlic Herbal Butter Sauce Skewered with a Cube of Sourdough Bread to Soak up the Flavors.
- Give shrimp a quick marinade
- Toast bread cubes in the oven
- Sauté shrimp – make Scampi sauce in the pan
- Using a 4″ skewer, add a bread cube and shrimp on top
- Add warm sauce on a serving platter – add shrimp
4. Homemade Panko Popcorn Spiced Shrimp – they’re baked!
Crispy, Crunchy and Drenched in Homemade Panko Crumbs ~ these delicious morsels are baked on a rack, not deep fried.
I’m craving something crispy & sweet yet savory – these Popcorn Shrimp fit the bill!
Plunge them into this luscious & piquant Lemony Aioli Dip. Makes the perfect appetizer (who can resist these?)
Meatballs are Expected
5. Spinach & Chicken Meatball Appetizer
These pop-in-your-mouth meatball~crostini~marinara bites are made with chicken & spinach. Their gorgeous green color is a hint – there’s something healthy going on…
Forget the fontina fondue if time is an issue, top with a grated Italian cheese and warm through.
- Make meatballs miniature sized: (recipe) Can make ahead of time
- Make bread rounds, toast
- Make cheese fondue OR grate cheese
- Warm marinara and meatball, add to bread round, top with cheese, and skewer
Everyone Wants Pizza
6. Garlic Garlic Pizza
Karen’s Perfect Pizza Dough is topped with a Roasted Garlic purée, Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, dollops of Ricotta Cheese & Marinara and Chopped Garlic.
NOTHING smells better than from-scratch pizza from your oven!
- Make Karen’s Perfect Pizza Dough
- Bake a head of garlic, cool, then mash cloves
- Roll (or stretch) dough, spread garlic puree, scatter mozzarella
- Dollop with ricotta & marinara, add oregano, chopped garlic and hot pepper flakes
- Bake until bubbly, cut slices & eat!
Serve. A. Vegetable!
7. Mediterranean Stuffed Shishito Peppers
Blistered Shishito Peppers are cut in half and stuffed with a medley of Mediterranean ingredients for an addictive appetizer
- Quick blister shishitos in a heavy skillet. Cool, slice in half horizontally
- Make goat cheese & vegetable filling:
- Add cooked and raw veggies to goat cheese, add fresh herbs
- Place shishitos on a baking pan, add filling to each, broil until warm and bubbly
8. Sesame Blistered Shishito Peppers
An amazing, fun & delicious EASY appetizer and side dish – these charred peppers are addictive and healthy!
These are QUICK TO COOK – can easily make dozens.
Just pick up by the stem & enjoy.
- Heat a cast iron skillet with neutral oil add shishito peppers and a pinch of sea salt
- Blister them over high heat; 3 minutes
- Add shallots, sesame oil and cook 3 minutes – add sesame seeds and hazelnuts
- PS: Shishitos are now available at Trader Joe’s!
Make a Homemade Salsa
9. Karen’s Winter Kumato Tomato Salsa
The Best Homemade Salsa features Kumato Tomatoes available year-round and prized for their sweet, juicy flavor and firm texture.
Serve with Organic Chips and Guacamole
- Roast half the Kumato Tomatoes with Garlic Cloves in their skins, 500 degree oven
- Whirl the roasted tomatoes and garlic in a small food processor until smooth and creamy
- Add chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, vinegar, lime juice and salt – pulse to combine
- Place salsa base in a bowl
- Fold in remaining ingredients: diced Kumato tomatoes, diced colorful tomatoes, parsley and olive oil
Take A Dip
10. Healthy Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip
The Best Homemade Salsa features Kumato Tomatoes available year-round and prized for their sweet, juicy flavor and firm texture. Need a dip for the game-day get together that doesn’t break the calorie bank?
A real crowd pleaser – there will not be any leftovers! A Redux recipe – a healthier version of the Lipton Soup Mix.
- Serve with Roasted Sweet Potatoes – OR Delish with Organic Potato Chips
- Roast a head of garlic in the oven, squeeze our the cloves
- Roast scallions, toast dehydrated onions
- Add dip ingredients in a large bowl, mash all together and blend all
- Serve cold
You Gotta Serve Chili
11. Amazing Veggie Chili Without Beans
A Healthy and Hearty Chili Chock Full of Veggies. Chickpeas, Lentils, Butternut Squash and Cremini Mushrooms in a Tomato Based Sauce with Homemade Chili Seasoning.
Dig in and be creative with your toppings!
- Dice and cook veggies in a heavy pot. Add tomato sauce, vegetable broth and lentils.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare Garnishes: grated cheddar, chopped red onion, sliced jalapeño, sour cream & herb sprigs
- Add warm chili to individual bowls
- Top with garnishes or let you guests choose their own
Stuff a Mushroom
12. Stuffed Shiitake Mushrooms with Tomatillo Salsa Topping
Delectable with Mexican Spices – these caps are stuffed with flavor! Lots of colorful Vegetables and Ground turkey OR Plant Based Tempeh.
A healthy approach to stuffed mushrooms ~ serve with a dollop of sour cream and tomatillo salsa.
- Make the Tomatillo Salsa
- Clean mushrooms, brush w EVOO and bake 8 minutes
- Make turkey & veggie filling – season well with chili powder
- Add marinara to filling, top mushrooms
- Top with grated cheese, bake until melty and serve
Something that Sounds Fancy:
13. Goat Cheese and Garlic Pâté with Walnuts and Chives ~ Balsamic-Honey Drizzle
Entertaining just got a little easier with this tempting pâté – the perfect appetizer for a crowd.
Perfect for any party, toast up your favorite bread, and add some crudite – serve extra roasted garlic cloves on the platter.
Can make a few days in advance.
Another Cheesy Spread:
14. Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe ~ THE Spread for Everything!
This spread has so many culinary uses. Great served with good crackers and crudités ~ use also as a sandwich spread, a burger topper or a stuffing for vegetables. The possibilities are really endless.
What makes my recipe Southern style? I would say the level of spiciness, and the lack of cream cheese.
Add A HOMEMADE Dessert:
15. Karen’s Best Blondies – They’re Gluten Free
A “Blonde Brownie” with a rich caramel- butterscotch like flavor dotted with chocolate chips.
Baked in a pan – you cut them into squares or rectangles. Simple to make and a family favorite of mine! Can use regular flour too.
Or choose something here: COOKIES & BARS
- Line a 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper
- Cream butter & sugars until light
- Add egg, then rest of ingredients (use best quality dark chocolate chips)
- Spoon batter in pan, bake until done. (Do not overcook) Cool, cut into 16 squares
- Double or triple the recipe for a crowd!
Come for the Game; Stay for the FOOD!
If you like these recipes, SUBSCRIBE (here) to my newsletter ~ never miss a recipe!
Winter Kumato Tomato-Chipolte Salsa
- 1 pound Kumato tomatoes (about 4 to roast; one to dice)
- 4 medium garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers (canned)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup sweet onions peeled, 1/4" dice
- 1/2 cup fresh cherry tomatoes multi colored, 1/4" dice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.Cut 4 Kumato tomatoes in half (I had 5 medium sized ones.) Place a sheet of parchment on a medium sized rimmed baking pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon evoo. Place tomato halves and unpeeled garlic on top. Brush all over with oil on pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Roast in the hot oven to blacken - REMOVE garlic after 6 minutes; will be blackened around the edges an softened inside.Roast tomatoes a total of 20 minutes until well roasted and just blackened and caramelized around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Peel Garlic; In a small 3 -4 cup food processor add garlic, HALF the roasted tomatoes, chipotle peppers, adobe sauce, vinegar, lime juice and sea salt.Blend until very smooth - add all to a medium sized bowl.
- Dice the remaining unroasted Kumato tomato. Coarsely chop remaining roasted kumato tomatoes, add to the bowl. Add the onions, diced cherry tomatoes, parsley and extra virgin olive oil.Mix all - taste for salt and spiciness. Can now add more chopped chipotle peppers and adobe sauce if you like a spicier salsa.
- Refrigerate any unused salsa in a airtight container and enjoy within one week.