Seared Scallops with Karen’s Ponzu Sauce
Sweet Sea Scallops team with a Zesty & Citrusy Ponzu Sauce – Easy and Delicious!
A Healthy Japanese inspired meal, gluten free.
Steamed Rice is a wonderful accompaniment for this dish, add some steamed quinoa to the rice for extra protein and fiber.
Sea Scallops, fresh from the boat from The Local Catch (Rhode Island-caught seafood.)
Seared Scallops with Karen's Ponzu Sauce
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pinches freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 recipe Karen's Zesty Ponzu Sauce (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup steamed vegetables (see suggestions)
- 1 tablespoon scallions or microgreens
- Dry scallops well, remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cool water and thoroughly pat dry. Add to a plate, season with salt & pepper on both sides.
- Heat a stickproof ceramic pan with olive oil, raise heat to medium-high.Add scallops and do not move, turn over when very dark golden underneath.Turn over with tongs; turn heat down to medium heat and cook until golden underneath and cooked throughout. Scallops should not be overcooked - total time cooking will be about 4 minutes - 2 minutes per side.
- Cut vegetables into batonettes and steam until tender crisp. Choose colorful carrots, asparagus, radishes or veggies you like. Tie with a blanched scallion for a beautiful presentation.
To serve the dish:
- Add a serving of scallops to each plate in a circle around the edge. Add steamed veggies in the center. Top scallops with scallions or microgreens and sesame seeds.Drizzle Ponzu Sauce on plate, and serve extra on the side. Steamed rice is a wonderful addition to this recipe; add some steamed quinoa too for extra protein and fiber.