Creamy, Delicious and Refreshing!! A natural “Ice Cream” that’s irresistible!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 can coconut milk / 13.5 ounces (full fat not “lite”)
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar*, organic
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, washed and dried
- ½ teaspoon natural peppermint flavor** Frontier CO-OP Brand
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina (a type of blue-green micro-algae that’s grown and harvested from very alkaline water sources.)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, shaved from a bar, to chopped chocolate chunks
Soak cashews in 3 cups of filtered water until softened – at least 4 hours, or overnight.
HINT: If in a rush, add 3 cups of very warm water to the cashews, drain in 2 hours.
To make Ice Cream:
Heat half of the coconut milk with the sugar*, bring to a boil and then simmer stirring until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
Immediately add the mint leaves and stir (will turn bright green.)
Add this mixture to the carafe of a blender and whirl from low to high speed until well blended; one minute.
Drain cashews and rinse well.
Add all remaining ingredients to the carafe; cashews, remaining coconut milk, water, peppermint flavor and spirulina.
Blend on high speed an additional minute or two until very creamy.
Add the ice cream base to a large bowl, cover tightly and refrigerate until very cold, one to two hours.
Process the ice cream in an ice cream maker – when almost firm add the shaved chocolate and churn a few more minutes.
Pack into pints and freeze.
*Sugar: I have used 1/2 cup in the recipe and is not too sweet, but just right to my taste.
If you like a sweeter ice cream, add 3/4 cup.
** Peppermint Flavor/Oil: Look for one with just these two ingredients; sunflower oil and peppermint oil (without “natural flavor.”)
See BLOG for many more photos and information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer
Makes: just over 2 pints