Karen’s Mango Sorbet with Ginger & Turmeric
A Creamy & Luscious Sorbet made with five ingredients ~ Fresh Mango, Ginger-Turmeric Tea, Pure Cane Sugar, Fresh Ginger and Lime Juice. Simple to prepare – silky texture!
Tropical mangos making a smooth purée to create a refreshing sorbet treat with sweet fruit intensity.
Using Tea in the recipe: Turmeric adds a nice color and earthy tang; Ginger adds a spicy flavor, and an invigorating aroma ~ both boost the health value of the sorbet.
- Cut flesh of the mango away from the pit – purée with in a food processor with the fresh ginger until very smooth
- Make Ginger-Turmeric Tea – when cool, squeeze all the flavor from the tea bags
- Add the tea to a pot with the sugar and lime juice, cook 3 minutes to dissolve the sugar, cool 5 minutes
- Combine the tea and mango purée – place in a bowl – cool in the refrigerator until cold
- Process in an ice cream machine – ENJOY!
- Garnish with berries and mint springs if you like
Turmeric and Ginger have amazing Health Boosting Properties:
There is a growing recognition that ginger and turmeric are powerful natural remedies.
Many ancient civilizations have used them for centuries ~ known for boosting your immunity.
Using the TEA BAGS to infuse flavor is a quick, easy & delicious way to flavor the Sorbet – while adding health benefits.
Turmeric and ginger belong to the rhizome family.
The antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties of turmeric and ginger help manage seasonal cough, cold, and congestion too!
Ripeness of the Mango is IMPORTANT:
Too ripe it will be grainy, stringy and mushy.
PICK ONE that has a nice reddish tint to it, is heavy for its size and when gently squeezed, should give slightly to pressure… not too hard!
Trader Joe’s Organic Ginger Turmeric Herbal Tea Ingredients: (I use 4 tea bags for the sorbet)
- ORGANIC GINGER ROOT
- ORGANIC TURMERIC
- ORGANIC LICORICE
- ORGANIC ORANGE PEEL
- ORGANIC ORANGE OIL
- ORGANIC BLACK PEPPER
A Creamy Sorbet:
Without fat from dairy or eggs, it’s the suspension of sugar within the fruit purée that allows the sorbet to churn into something with a creamy mouthfeel.
Enjoy this delicious fruit sorbet.
Let me know what you think.
Love homemade frozen treats like me?
See my Category: ICE CREAM / FROZEN YOGURT
Karen's Mango Sorbet with Ginger & Turmeric
- 2 large mangos just ripe, not too soft
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger peeled, grated very fine, or minced
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 4 bags Ginger Turmeric Herbal Tea I use Trader Joe's Organic
- 2/3 cups pure cane sugar I use organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Slice mangoes off their pits, and peel them. Cut into chunks and purée in a small food processor with the grated mango. Purée for a full minute, scrape down, process 30 more seconds.
- Boil water - measure 3/4 cups in a pyrex measuring cup - add 4 tea bags of Ginger Turmeric Herbal Tea. Let stand about 20 minutes to blossom.
- Squeeze the tea bags to extract all its flavors - strain into a one quart non reactive pot. Add sugar and lime juice. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook 3 minutes to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the stove, let cool down 5 minutes.
- Add the mango puree and stir well with a rubber spatula. Add to a bowl to fit, cover well and refrigerate until cold.
- Process in an ice cream maker.
- If you desire the creamiest consistency: Make tea first, continue with syrup; (tea, sugar lime juice.) Cool 10 minutes - add mango chunks, ginger and the tea syrup to a blender; whirl 2 minutes until creamy, refrigerate. Process in ice cream machine when cool.