Karen’s Shaved Asparagus White Pizza
Asparagus adds a veggie element and texture to the Perfect White Pizza!
Make 2 pizzas loaded with flavor with wonderful Shaved Asparagus with Garlic, a White Sauce underneath and Three Cheeses.
The AT-HOME Pizza Craze is on fire! Thanks to the many new Outdoor Wood Fired Pizza Oven & Portable Pizza Ovens on the market we are making the most delicious and inventive pizzas! Try making the dough from scratch ~ so much better and fresher than the ones you can buy – I’ve got a recipe for that! (I used my Thermador oven on Pizza setting.)
Asparagus – available year-round can still be found at your local farmers’ market – or grocery store.
They are tender & sweet and the perfect topping for pizza!
Easily shaved with a vegetable peeler! Glide the peeler across the stalks while on your cutting board. Cut the beautiful tops off and cut them in half lengthwise – add them to the pizza too!
Extra virgin olive oil moistens and flavors the shaved asparagus – so it will not dry out… garlic adds flavor!
Elements for the Pizza:
- Karen’s Perfect Pizza Dough (so superior to what you can buy in a store or pizza shop!)
- White Sauce ~ moistens the pizza; adds a creamy texture and extra flavor.
- Shaved Asparagus ~ for 2 pies I used 3/4 pounds of fat asparagus (4 cups shaved)
- Cheeses ~ I have used Fresh Ricotta Cheese, Shredded Mozzarella and a Truffled Cheese
Give 00 flour a try!
Mostly imported from Italy – it has an extremely fine texture that makes a very soft and flavorful thin crust. It is made from top-quality, all-natural soft wheat flour that has been milled slowly for ideal water absorption and yield.
AND – it has a lower gluten content than most flours. Some gluten-sensitive eaters might be able to enjoy it!
The “00” refers to the texture of the flour: Italian flours are classified by numbers according to how finely they are ground. I found mine at Wegmans supermarket (also available online.)
Tip: When buying Truffle Cheeses – beware of flavoring! Look for the ingredient: “Truffles” ~ not Truffle “flavor.”
If flavored – it’s added synthetic truffle flavor.
First – roll or stretch the pizza dough to an 11″ circle. Add the delicious, easy to prepare White Sauce all over.
Top with the Ricotta Dots – I use a small ice cream scoop! Dot with 3/4’s of the cheese.
My oregano is overflowing this summer!! So ~ I have trimmed some fresh sprigs and air dried outdoors on a hot day. They were crispy and dried in just one day. To use: crumble the leaves, discard the stems (I keep in a glass jar in a dark place.)
Ready to bake! I cooked on a steel pan at 525 degrees… preheated of course!
Try this recipe! Will be a favorite of yours!
Also see: Garlic Garlic Pizza!
and Grilled Pizza with Raw Garden Tomato Sauce
Karen's Shaved Asparagus White Pizza
- 1 recipe Karen's Perfect Pizza Dough (See recipe) Using 2 pizza dough balls
- 3/4 pounds fresh fat asparagus cleaned, dried, shaved; tips reserved and halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic peeled and chopped
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter I use organic
- 2 tablespoons shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk I use whole fat
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese I use full fat
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Italian truffled cheese (with real truffles; not flavored)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I dried from my garden)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves to add after the pizza has cooked
- Make Karen's Perfect Pizza Dough (see recipe.) Use half of the recipe (2 balls.)
- Let the pizza balls rest at room temperature dusted with flour.
Easy White Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a heavy one quart pot. Add the shallots and garlic, cook over low heat until softened but not colored about 3 minutes. Add the flour, stir in and cook 1 more minute. Add half of the milk and the wine - bring to a boil - stirring to thicken, about I minute. Reduce heat to low and add the remaining milk and salt. Simmer stirring until a nice thickened sauce, a few minutes more. Set aside.
Shave the Asparagus:
- Lay the asparagus spears on a cutting board. Shave the stalks with a vegetable peeler - add to a large bowl. Cut off tips; cut them in half lengthwise; add to bowl.Add 3 teaspoons EVOO to the bowl with the 1 T. garlic; mix in and set aside. Add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 525 degrees.
Finish the Pizza:
- Roll or stretch each pizza dough round to 11". Place on 2 cornmeal dusted pizza pans. Top both evenly with the White Sauce, leaving a half inch boarder for the crust. Dot with ricotta cheese all over (can use a small ice cream scoop for perfect circles.) Top with 3/4 of the cheese (remainder will go on top.)
- Mound the shaved asparagus on top (will wilt as it cooks.) Top with remaining 1/4 of the cheese - scatter on top. Sprinkle with dried oregano. Brush the crust with olive oil if desired.
- Bake for 12 - 14 minutes - this will depend on the heat of your oven, until crispy and the cheese is bubbly; asparagus cooked with golden edges.
- Let rest 1 minute - cut each pizza into 6 rectangles and eat!
- Cooked Pizza freezes very well... wrap tightly.
To say hello, discuss a recipe, share one, or have a comment - I would love to know what you think!