Seasonal Lettuces and Vegetables team with the Juiciest Strawberries with the perfect Zesty Vinaigrette
- 4 cups ruby boston lettuce leaves, or other tender lettuces
- 2/3 cups fresh sliced strawberries (see note)
- 1/4 cup breakfast radishes, very thinly sliced (can use a peeler)
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced, look for purple scallions in season
- 1 cup sunflower sprouts (nutty flavor with great crunch)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow pear tomatoes, or other small colorful tomatoes
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, sliced then torn
- 1 tablespoon shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, peeled and finely grated or chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or himalayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 5 grates black pepper
- 1/3 cup neutral oil, such as expeller pressed safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
In a small non-reactive bowl, add shallots, garlic, vinegar salt, maple syrup and black pepper. Mix with a small whisk – set aside for 10 minutes to macerate the flavors.
Add both oils to a measuring cup.
Slowly add the oils in a stream, whisking constantly until half is emulsified.
Continue streaming in the oil – can go a little faster now until emulsified.
Store in a clean glass sterile container in the refrigerator if not using right away.
Prepare the Salad:
In a large bowl, or on individual plates, add the ingredients – starting with the lettuce and then layering the rest.
Strawberries: Wash and dry the berries, hull them (remove tops) and slice thinly.
Look for very ripe berries, but not soft.
Drizzle all over with the Maple-Walnut Vinaigrette.
For a heartier salad, add your favorite grilled proteins, grains or beans as well!
See BLOG for more photos and information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer
Serves 4, easily doubled