A luscious southern-style remoulade sauce (a fancy-spiced flavored mayonnaise.) Use as a dip for my Stir-Fried Blackened Green Beans
- 1 large egg yolk, preferably organic, cage-free
- ¾ cup neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic*
- ½ teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh scallions, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, your favorite variety
- 1 teaspoon bread & butter pickles, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Place the egg yolk in a quart sized bowl. Place oil in a pyrex measuring cup.
SLOWLY drizzle in the oil, drop by drop at the beginning, whisking steadily with a balloon whisk. The mayonnaise will look creamy and starting to become thick. Whisk while pouring in the oil in a thin stream until emulsified.
Take half the mayonnaise and add it to a small chopper. Add remaining ingredients (lemon rind through sea salt.)
Pulse until all the ingredients are well chopped. Place the mixture with the rest of the mayonnaise into a small glass bowl, mix well and refrigerate.
Keeps for 2 weeks.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed.”
Easy Roasted Garlic:
Peel and cut 3 garlic cloves in half. Place in a small skillet with 1/3 cup oil. Place on heat and cook at low heat until just turning golden.
Turn over the cloves and cook on the second side until golden and and softened. Remove from the heat. Use when cool, or store in the refrigerator in a clean glass jar. Will last for one week. Chop and measure 1T. for this recipe.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Makes: about 1 cup