A Zesty Salsa with an extraordinary- fresh flavor.
Choose tomatillos that are ripe, firm with a nice vibrant green color.
- 3 large tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1 medium scallion, cleaned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh jalapeño, seeded, chopped (use serrano chilis if you like spicy.)
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, or parsley, cleaned and dried
Clean and dry the tomatillos (they can be sticky.)
Add all ingredients to a mini chopper (or blender) and pulse until creamy an well blended.
Taste for salt.
The salsa will thicken as it stands.
This is a mildly-spicy salsa.
Use as a garnish for mexican-style dishes or as a dip for tortillas.
Refrigerate any extra in an airtight, glass container.
Great with: Chicken-Lentil Chili with Butternut Squash (see recipe.)
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Makes about 1/3 cup.