A step by step recipe for perfect roast chicken and a reduced pan gravy enhanced with pomegranate syrup.
- 2 3 1/2 pound whole chickens, preferably air-chilled
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil*
- 2 tablespoons seasoning**
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup miripoix vegertables, (onion, celery and carrots) cut up in large chunks
- 6 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, preferably home made
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (available at gourmet shops)
- 2 T. unsalted butter or natural margarine (optional)
Wash and dry the chickens. Rub all over with the oil, then rub in the seasonings well all over. Loosen the skin gently, and pat the minced thyme and garlic under the skin. Add any extra thyme sprigs inside the cavity. Tie up with kitchen twine.
Set on a rack over a baking dish, place in the refrigerator (yes, find a large spot) and cover only with a sheet of waxed paper.
(This will dry the chicken before roasting; produces a crispy bird). Keep in the refrigerator for a few hours, minimum of 2.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Take out the chicken, and rest at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
Add the vegetables to the bottom of the pan. Roast the chickens on the rack, breast side up for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, careful turn them over with tongs (breast side down) and roast 20 minutes. Add the garlic cloves to the bottom of the pan.
Remove from oven, and turn breast side up. Now, the vegetables will be VERY dark and caramelized, add the chicken broth to the bottom of the pan.
Roast for the last 20 minutes, and remove from the oven when the very golden. Add some water if the liquid on the bottom reduces too much. Test for doneness, insert a meat thermometer near the dark meat, but not touching the bone. 165 % internal temperature is perfect.
Let cool, then strain the vegetables and pan broth into a bowl, pressing down on the vegetables (discard them).
Place the gravy in a small pan, reduce to 1 cup. Add 1 T. pomegranate molasses, stir. Taste for seasonings.
Stir in 2 T. of unsalted butter if desired and whisk.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”.
** Basic Seasoning Blend: 1 T. Smoked Paprika, 1 T. Italian Seasonings (Tuscan), 1 t. Himalayan Sea Salt and 1 t. freshly cracked pepper. Additional add-ins: a pinch of tumeric, a pinch of extra dried thyme.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of it’s author, Karen Sheer.
Servings: 8 – 16