Mother’s Day Inspirations – 18 Recipes She Will Love!
Spoil Mom with some home cooking!
She will love the effort… and results ~ and you might learn a few new recipes and techniques.
Look for local Spring ingredients – the best and freshest you can find and make this year a bountiful celebration for the special Moms in your life.
Here is a gathering of some of my favorite recipes I think Mom & the whole family will love! Bursting with tons of color and healthy ingredients.
Main Course Ideas ~ In Season & Delicious:
Bursting with Flavor and Color – this Naturally Gluten-Free Quiche makes the perfect hassle-free brunch, lunch or healthy dinner.
An interesting rice crust offers an earthy flavor to balance the quiche’s custard. Reheats wonderfully.
The quiche is layered with Feta Cheese, Sautéed Spinach with Garlic, Egg, Milk & Dill Custard with Red Onion Rings and Tomatoes baked into the top.
A skillet dish with an amazing flavor combination – healthful and colorful. Shiitake “Bacon” is a game changer – my tasters said taste just like the real thing… but vegan!
I’m so loving this inventive dish! As you know, shrimps cook really quickly – so with a little prep, this meal while come together quickly. Look for fresh Florida Pink Shrimp – they are superior to any frozen variety.
A light and hearty Mediterranean “Sauce” for Chicken, Fish and beyond. An Extra Virgin Olive Oil Based Pan Sauce combines Garlic, Shallots, Five Herbs and Fresh Corn.
A great sauce that can be used over King Salmon Fillets as well. A super-quick and healthy sauce you whip up in a skillet in minutes.
What does this sauce work with? … well everything!
My favorite Spring Meal!
Perfectly cooked Salmon with a luscious Rhubarb Vanilla Bean Sauce and a Spring Vegetable Salad.
Simple to prepare ~ Make my Rhubarb Vanilla Bean Jam ahead of time and the sauce is a snap.
Wouldn’t Mom love a gift of a jar of the Rhubarb Vanilla Bean Jam too?
Healthy and Oh-So Colorful! A Zesty But Light Sauce enriches many recipes and perfect with my Grilled Chicken Skewers.
This is a versatile sauce that is the perfect accompaniment to many Mediterranean dishes. You can also slather it on your sandwiches; or simply use it as a dip with warm pita and your favorite vegetables.
Everyone loves pesto! Pair with some dye-cut Italian Pasta Squares and Roasted Zucchini for a dish all will adore.
Thai Basil has a pronounced licorice essence and a little spicy kick. Vegan.
Salads – Healthy with Crunch:
This Radicchio Salad has a nice sweet & bitter elements with a zesty mustard tang. Add Frisée lettuce, Watermelon Radish, Shaved Heirloom Carrots, Crispy Croutons with Grainy Mustard and Garlic and Karen’s Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette with Shallots and Garlic. A flavor sensation!
Spring Produce has arrived markets ~ this salad is crave-worthy and perfect for entertaining!
Ruby and Golden Beets team with Feta Cheese, Scallions & Pecans dressed with an Strawberry-Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette.
A Gorgeous and Healthful Salad and Dressing Bathed in the Hues of a Sunset.
A beautiful mix of Greens, Watermelon Radishes, Purple Curly Kale, Carrots, Microgreens and Pomegranate Seeds.
Crispy, Crunchy & Sweet ~ a brilliant, colorful, healthy salad with vibrant colors, distinctive flavors and sensory contrasts.
Make the dressing ahead and adorn with my Nut and Seed Crunch.
Something to Nibble On:
I always love a handful of nuts! Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds and Brazil Nuts are roasted in a slow oven until fragrant and lightly golden.
Kissed with fresh rosemary and a hints of a sweet-salty flavor. No overwhelming flavors, all complement each other.
This delicious warm Spring dip is always welcome ! Asparagus replaces artichokes for a flavor-twist. A bevy of vegetables keeps the fat content at bay.
Choose you favorite cracker or bread for dipping.
You’ll fall in love with the lighter texture of this amazing cheesecake.
A simple topping with luscious Spring Rhubarb and Strawberries add just the right tart-sweet flavor and gorgeous color!
A slice of heaven…and gluten-free. This lightened-up recipe does not sacrifice flavor!
An Unbelievable, Simple Pie with only 4 ingredients and a press-in Granola Crust.
Dream-like light airy filling with plenty of fresh raspberry flavor.
A Creamy Cheesecake made with Cottage Cheese – no cream cheese here!
A lightened-up cheesecake with intense peanut butter flavor.
Decadent and creamy – Make my recipes: Chocolate Peanut Biscotti for the crust and pile on some Honey Peanuts on top. Outrageous!
I LOVE PIE – who doesn’t! Black Raspberries lie under a buttery & flaky lattice crust. Perfection with every bite.
Choose red raspberries as black raspberries are available in summer. The gluten free pie crust is heavenly.
Taste the marvelous, special flavor of Rhubarb in this easy to make (promise!) fruit tart.
The shortbread cookie crust stays firm when cooked, and crumbles like a cookie when cut into… perfection!
I make pints homemade frozen treats all the time – who wouldn’t love a delicious scoop of ice cream?
You might want to try my Salted Caramel Sauce – Vegan too!
Simple ingredients blend into a creamy, decadent dessert, infused with a touch of ginger and warm spices.
Happy Mother’s Day!
Spinach, Feta and Tomato Quiche with Wild & Brown Rice Crust
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 large egg separated
- 4 tablespoon parmegiano reggiano cheese finely grated
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves peeled, thinly sliced; about 1 1/2 T.
- 3/4 pounds fresh spinach leaves 1 medium- large bunch, cleaned and dried
- 1 pinch salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 5 large eggs divided, I use pasture raised
- 1 1/2 cups milk full fat
- 1/4 cup fresh dill cleaned, dried and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese large crumbles; divided
- 1/2 medium red onion peeled, cut into 1/4" rings
- 3/4 cups colorful cherry tomatoes sliced in half
Make the crust:
- Warm the brown rice, add 1 egg white (save the yolk for the filling) and 1 cup warm rice to a small food processor. Pulse to combine. Continue to run until the mixture is creamy and the rice is pureed, but a little chunky.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add this mixture to a medium sized bowl; add the remaining 1 cup brown rice, wild rice, parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt.
- Brush deep-dish pie pan well with neutral oil. I have used a 10″ tart pan with 2″ high sides. Add the rice mixture.Press down using a piece of plastic wrap – this will allow you to press in an even layer.Build an edge to 1″. Place on a rimmed baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes until firm and lightly colored. Set aside to cool slightly. Raise heat of oven to 375 degrees.
Make the filling:
- Slice the spinach into 1/2″ ribbons.To a large saute pan, add 1 T. olive oil and sliced garlic. Cook over low heat stirring for 2 minutes until the garlic had just started to color. Add the spinach, and a pinch of salt & pepper, stir to coat. Cook, stirring until limped and cooked through – just 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the 4 eggs and the remaining egg yolk. Add the milk, and whisk well. Add dill, mix to combine.
Finish the quiche:
- Add 3/4 cup of Feta cheese to the bottom of the slightly cooled crust. Add the Spinach-Garlic mixture evenly. Pour in the Egg and Milk Custard. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Feta. Add Red Onion Rings all over top. Add cut Tomatoes all over top. Place the quiche on a rimmed baking pan.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until puffed and firm in the center, about 45 minutes.Add a little extra chopped dill on top if desired. The quiche reheats well, and can be frozen and reheated.