Beet Tzatziki Sauce with Spiced Chicken Skewers
Healthy and Oh-So Colorful! A Zesty But Light Sauce enriches many recipes and perfect with my Grilled Chicken Skewers.
This is a versatile sauce that is the perfect accompaniment to many Mediterranean dishes. You can also slather it on your sandwiches; or simply use it as a dip with warm pita and your favorite vegetables.
1 medium beet (1 cup when steamed, peeled and grated)
1 ½ pounds chicken tenderloins (tendons removed)
Beet Tzatziki Sauce:
- Steam beet until tender, about 15 minutes (should be cooked but not soft.)
- Cool slightly, when still warm – peel over the sink – the peel should just slip off when gently rubbed.
- Coarsely grate the beet over a large bowl.
- Add cucumber, garlic, sumac, salt and sherry vinegar.
- Mix well.
- When no longer warm add the Greek yogurt and olive oil.
- Taste for seasonings. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Best served cold.
Marinate and Grill Chicken Skewers:
- Place marinade ingredients (olive oil through pepper) in a medium sized bowl, combine with a fork.
- Add chicken tenderloins and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water (put in large zip lock bag with water.)
- Line a rimmed tray with waxed paper.
- Thread the chicken, two tenderloins per skewer. (Depending on the size of the tenderloins you will have approximately 6 skewers.)
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill with neutral oil. Add skewers and close grill.
- Cook until nice dark grill marks form, turn over with tongs, lower heat to low. Cook on the second side until just cooked through – do not overcook.
- Remove wax paper from the tray, add chicken. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.
Add a portion of Beet Tzatziki Sauce to individual plates. Top with a chicken skewer or two. Serve extra sauce on the side.
Top with a garnish of chopped fresh herbs; parsley, oregano, mint or dill. Round out the plate with vegetables and a starch.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer