A Gorgeous and Healthful Salad and Dressing Bathed in the Hues of a Sunset
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, preferably from meyer lemons
- 1 ½ teaspoons red onion, peeled and minced finely
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic, peeled and minced finely (or grate finely)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled with your fingers
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon natural cane sugar (or raw honey)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup neutral oil*, such as safflower, or extra virgin olive oil if you prefer
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon tumeric
Add the first nine ingredients to a clean glass container, or a dressing flask.
Shake well, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes to blend the flavors and macerate.
Place the oils and turmeric (adds a yellow hue) in a measuring cup. Blend with a fork.
Add 1/3 of the oil to the container. Shake well to emulsify.
Add the next 1/3 oil, shake – then the remaining 1/3 of the oil.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed.”
Sunset Salad: (serves 4)
4 cups washed and dried greens, such as watercress or arugula (look for organic ingredients.)
1/2 cup purple kale, stemmed and torn
1/2 cup watermelon radish, cut very thin (use mandoline for ease)
1/2 cup rainbow carrots, peeled, cut very thin (use a variety of colors.)
1/4 cup microgreens
2 T. pomegranate seeds
4 T, sliced natural almonds, toasted (optional.)
To serve: combine ingredients in a large bowl, toss with 6 T. of Sunset Vinaigrette and serve.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer
Makes: 1 1/2 cups.