- 6 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 6 tablespoons filtered water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- ⅔ cup coconut milk, not “lite”
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt, such as Pink Himalayan
Place the coconut sugar and water in a small pan over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, raise heat to medium – high and stir with a whisk until it boils. Let reduce for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the arrowroot with 1 T. water in a small bowl to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the simmering caramel, whisking for 1 minute. The arrowroot will thicken the sauce quickly.
Remove from the heat. Add the vanilla and salt. Cool.
Store in a sterile glass container. Will stay fresh for at least 2 weeks.
This recipe may not be reproduced in any form without the written consent of it’s author, Karen Sheer.
Great served on top of : Caramel Vanilla Bean Vegan Ice Cream
Servings: 10, 2/3 cup