This vibrant salad is crave-worthy and perfect for entertaining!
Correctly roasting brings a wonderful flavor and texture to beets. I have prepared them every way: shaved raw, grated, boiled, steamed and roasted. My oven roasting method I think is my favorite ~ beets get a golden color and depth of flavor, and cook quicker than beets which are roasted whole!
- 4 large fresh beets, choose Ruby and Golden Beets
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cleaned, dried, hulled and cut into chunks
- ½ cup feta cheese, cut into 1″ cubes (can use goat cheese)
- ⅓ cup pecan halves, lightly toasted (brings out their flavor)
- ⅓ cup fresh scallions, thinly sliced (try Spring purple scallions)
- 1 recipe Strawberry-Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette (see recipe)
Make: Strawberry-Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Scrub and dry beets. Cut in half vertically.
Add to a rimmed sheet pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and freshly cracked pepper. Mix in.
Cover with heavy foil and cook on the bottom third of the oven for 1 hour. Beet will be tender and well roasted.
Cool until you can handle them and peel the beets in the sink – use the back of a small knife if needed.
Beets are easiest to peel when still warm.
Cut into chunks – cut the golden ones first so they don’t bleed into the ruby colored ones!
Finish the Salad:
On a large platter or bowl, mound both beets, strawberries and feta cheese.
Add Strawberry-Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette, saving some for an additional recipe.
Top with scallions and pecans and serve.
See BLOG for many photos of this recipe, and more information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Servings: about 8; easily doubled for a crowd