Here is how I make a wonderful, hearty and healthy Vegetable Soup with Mediterranean ingredients.
This is a guide… use the ingredients you have or prefer to your taste. Easily made gluten-free.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup leeks, cleaned and sliced 1/2″
- ½ cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 small fresh garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups mixed vegetables*, see below
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 26 ounces chopped tomatoes in juice, POMI brand (no artificial ingredients)
- ½ cup grains**, I used Quinoa and Red Lentils (gluten-free)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup garbanzo beans, cooked
- 3 teaspoons fresh herbs, I used tarragon, rosemary and thyme
- 6 teaspoons Basil, Kale & Chive Pistou, see recipe, or use your own
Make Basil, Kale & Chive Pistou. (Similar to pesto… no nuts, cheese optional.)
In a heavy soup pot (I use a vintage cast enamel coated one) add 2 T. olive oil. Raise heat to medium low, and the alliums –
leeks, onion and garlic. Cook stirring for 3 minutes, do not let brown.
Add the 6 cups of cleaned, sliced vegetables and 1 T. olive oil, raise heat to medium, cook stirring for 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper and tomato paste. Cook stirring one minute.
Add the chopped tomatoes, and 1/2 cup grains, stir well and cook for one minute to incorporate the ingredients. The grains I used cook in 15 minutes, if using a longer cooking variety, precook accordingly.
Add the vegetable broth and the fresh cut herbs. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to the lowest simmer.
Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Check to see if the grains are cooked and tender. Taste for salt (will depend on the saltiness of your broth.)
Serve the soup with a teaspoon of Basil, Kale & Chive Pistou on top of each bowl, swirl in if desired.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
*Mixed Vegetables I Used:
Cremini Mushrooms, Romano Green Beans, Red Peppers, Zucchini, Multi Colored Carrots and Celery.
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Peas, Okra, Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard, Cabbage, Artichoke, Asparagus and Celeriac.
**Grains/Pulses I used:
1/4 cup Quinoa and 1/4 cup Red Lentils
Bulgar, Buckwheat, Couscous, Spelt, Millet, Barley, Amaranth, Farro, Duram Wheat Pasta and Wheat Berries.
Servings: 6 big bowls