Karen’s Custard Rice Pudding with Berries
The Ultimate Comfort Food – Baked Creamy Rice Pudding made with Jasmine Rice – Enriched with Coconut Milk. I’m serving the rice pudding with red & golden raspberries from a farmers’ market and a drizzle of blackberry sauce.
I found these sweet & delicious raspberries at my local farmers’ market grown By Smith’s Acres Farm in CT. Farmer Joe grows the best fruits & veggies! These raspberries are smaller in size from your average grocery store type and pack a ton of sweetness. More rare are the golden variety with their pink blush… these are my favorite! I saw these berries and immediately thought… “on rice pudding!”
Rice Pudding can make you reminisce your childhood, and the safe and warm feeling that (hopefully) comes with it.
I do remember enjoying rice pudding fondly!
You can add so many things to rice pudding, you can jazz it up with spices, add fruit and nuts, but it will always stay a rice pudding! One of my favorite desserts!
Sadly today, convenient grocery store packaged rice puddings contain “natural flavorings” (not natural – chemicals with a fake taste.)
Baked in the oven – it stays creamy inside with a custardy top with a little caramelization.
I’m using coconut milk and 2% milk in the rice pudding for flavor and just the right richness. The taste has a lingering coconut flavor that is not overpowering, and complements the cinnamon and nutmeg.
Baking Rice pudding does not require frequent stirring over the stovetop! As it bakes a layer of custard is created – creamy and delicious!
Some Interesting Facts About Rice Pudding:
- In nearly every part of the world – a rice pudding recipe exists.
- Rice pudding was thought to have originated in China or India, both with an ancient rice culture.
- Rice pudding started its life in the kitchens of Kings and Queens. Rice was an expensive import so it would have been only for the elite
- A sweet rice pudding can be found in Asia where rice is a staple. Some variants are thickened only with the rice starch; others include eggs, making them a kind of custard. It is called a sweet rice porridge
- Lebanese Rice Pudding contains anise, caraway and cinnamon
- Thailand adds banana to their rice pudding
- The United Kingdom and Ireland, rice pudding is a traditional dessert typically made with high-starch short-grained rice (aborio)
- In Spain it is called Arroz con leche – rice with milk, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon zestThe United Kingdom and Ireland, rice pudding is a traditional dessert typically made with high-starch short-grained rice (aborio)
- In New England – maple syrup is used instead of sugar
- In America – rice pudding most likely started showing up on diner menus in the 1920s; made from scratch!
Enjoy this rice pudding!
Creamy, Custardy – Comfort Food at its Best!
Karen's Custard Rice Pudding with Berries
- 1 can coconut milk (not "lite) Divided
- 2 1/3 cups 2% milk can use full fat milk, Divided
- 1/2 cup jasmine rice can use other long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs I use pasture raised
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar I use organic
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (preferably freshly ground)
Raspberries & Blackberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup red & golden raspberries more if you like!
- 1 recipe Blackberry Puree
- Add 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup milk to a 2 quart pot and add the rice; stir in. Bring to a boil, cover and cook at a bare simmer for 14 minutes. Rice will be cooked yet still creamy. Do not overcook. Take off the stove. Add the butter; stir to melt in. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I used convection baking.)
- While the rice cooks - to a large bowl add the remaining ingredients: remaining 2/3 cups coconut milk, 1 1/3 cups milk plus eggs through nutmeg.Mix well with a whisk.
- Add this mixture to the rice pot and combine the ingredients with a rubber spatula until well mixed.
- Butter the 11 x 7 baking pan. Add the rice pudding mixture. Bake for 35 minutes in the center of the oven. Pudding should be set -feels firm on top with some golden color on top.
- Cool the rice pudding. Cover and refrigerate. Best served cold or room temperature.Spoon Custard Rice Pudding into individual serving glasses (ice cream glasses work great!) Top with raspberries and drizzle with Blackberry Sauce. Garnish with mint leaves and enjoy!