A simple cornbread, which is gluten-free adaptable.
- 1 cup cornmeal (organic)
- 1 cup flour (use all-purpose gluten free flour for GF)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk, or sour cream & milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup fresh corn kernels, cooked 2 minutes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a loaf pan or a 9″x9″ baking pan. In a bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredients until blended. In another bowl, beat together the remaining ingredients until blended. Add the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is blended. Do not over mix. Spread into the pan and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top is golden. Cool and cut into squares.
Serving: about 20 small pieces.
For a sweeter cornbread: adjust the sugar to 2/3 cup.
For stuffing, you can substitute the fresh corn for 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
If using as a topping: Omit the fresh corn kernels.