A satisfying and nutritious soup with creamy pine nuts blended in ~ warming and inviting.
An easy blender soup enriched with colorful heirloom carrots, steamed, and added to the pot. Baking the nuts with smokey seasonings and coconut oil awakens the soup and adds a layer of characteristic flavor.
- 6 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth, preferably home made
- 4 large organic carrots, 3 cups, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and chunked
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic, peeled and chopped (try smoked garlic!)
- 4 medium organic heriloom multi colored carrots, 2 cups, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil , can use extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon smokey seasoning, such as smoked paprika
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch cane sugar
Heat the chicken broth in a large, heavy pot. Bring to a boil, add next three ingredients – carrots, sweet potato and garlic.
Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes until softened.
In the meantime, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the pine nuts in a small baking dish, add the coconut oil, smokey seasoning and a pinch of sea salt
and sugar. After 5 minutes, stir the nuts to coat and continue baking until just a hint golden – not too long – they can burn quickly!
Steam the remaining colored carrots until crisp tender. (The purple carrots tend to bleed if cooked in the soup base.)
Remove 1 1/2 tablespoons of the pine nuts and set aside. Add the remaining to the warm soup. Let stand 5 minutes.
Puree all in a blender, from low to the highest speed for one minute until very smooth.
Add back to the pot with the steamed carrots and stir well.
To serve: Ladle the soup in to bowls, top with a portion of pine nuts and garnish with fresh herbs, such as dill sprigs.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Servings: 6 – 8