Oven Baked, not fried. Creative, and not difficult to prepare. Gluten-Free
- 2 medium zucchini, cleaned, cut into 1/3″ batonettes
- ¾ cup coconut milk, not “lite”
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- ¾ teaspoon jalapeno, grated
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup yellow corn meal, organic
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut , finely grated
- ¼ cup all purpose gluten free flour*
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar, (optional)
Cut zucchini into long batonettes 1/3″ thick. In a large bowl, whisk the coconut milk with the ginger, jalepeno and salt. Add the zucchini, stir well, and set aside at room temperature 1 hour. Stir once to make sure all is coated.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the baking pan: Place a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet to fit. Top with a sheet of parchment paper.
Spray with oil**.
Place the cornmeal, coconut and flour and sugar on a plate, mix well. Drain half of the coconut milk mixture and discard. Beat the egg white for one minute, until thick and white. Add to the zucchini, mix well.
Add 5 zucchini strips at a time (with some liquid clinging to it) to the plate the coating mixture. Toss well , then place on the parchment paper when evenly coated.
Repeat with all the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and place in the hot oven. They are ready when crisp and golden, 30 – 40 minutes.
Hint: Spray with oil twice during the baking for a nice oven roasted flavor.
* can use regular flour if not making gluten free
**try filling a pump canister with extra virgin olive oil of your choice, less chemicals then spray oils.
Soaking the zucchini will add much flavor. The salt will drain a bit of moisture.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.