The perfect Cranberry Sauce – chunky, tart-sweet and loaded with fresh pineapple and a touch of ginger
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, I like organic coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice* unsweetened
- 1 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled & minced
- 1 lb. cranberries, fresh, organic
- 1 whole cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup pineapple, fresh, chopped 1/4 ” cubes
In a heavy- non reactive pot, add the 2 sugars, pineapple juice and the ginger. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes to soften the ginger and melt the sugars. Add the cranberries (washed and picked over) and the broken cinnamon stick – stir well. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook, covered for 10 minutes.
The mixture will thicken. Take off the heat and cool slightly, for about 15 minutes.
Add the cinnamon, salt and pineapple. Stir, refrigerate when cool. Use within 2 weeks.
*Can use other juices – Unsweetened Pomegranate or Unsweetened Cranberry
Servings: about 14, makes 2 cups
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of it’s author, Karen Sheer.