Chocolate Caramel Pie with Granola Coconut Crust – Vegan
A wonderful decedent but not-too-rich pie with a press-in crust with a chocolate base and caramel top layer. Finished with coconut whipped cream, honey-sugared peanuts and toasted coconut flakes. Love at first bite! Gluten Free too!
Is this a delicious pie that just happens to be Vegan? ALL will enjoy this one!
I cleverly use coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
Did you know: that 1 cup of coconut milk has 60% fat, while heavy cream contains 90% fat; both with the same amount of protein. What’s important too is that coconut milk has 91% less saturated fat than heavy cream!
This easy press in crust uses granola (I make my own… or purchase), melted coconut oil and toasted coconut – that’s it!
Pressed into a deep dish pie plate (I love this one!) ~ and popped in the freezer for 15 minutes, no baking necessary!
How to Make This Pie:
- Process granola and toasted coconut in a small food processor (the one I use & love!) Add warmed coconut oil, mix and press into a pie pan. Freeze 15 minutes, no baking required!
- Melt coconut milk with Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips (these please!) Add vanilla, whisk until smooth.
- Add chocolate mixture to bottom of the crust. Refrigerate 45 minutes.
- Make Caramel Topping, cool, then add on top of the chocolate layer (I left a little opening in the center for contrast.) Refrigerate until cold and firm.
- Make coconut whipped cream – can be made a day ahead of time. Dollop around the edge of the pie, or use a piping bag.
- Make my “Karen’s Easy Honey Peanuts” or purchase. Top pie with Peanuts and Toasted Coconut flakes.
- Can be made a few days I advance! (Yea!) I would add whipped coconut cream, peanuts & toasted coconut just before serving.
This pie has it all! Deep chocolate flavor, but not heavy or too sweet. The caramel layer adds that butterscotch-y flavor, but uses no butter – coconut palm sugar lends the flavor.
Topping can be made in advance:
- Coconut Whipped Cream, easy and a wonderful flavor.
- “Karen’s Easy Honey Peanuts” This is my recipe I love to make! You can purchase them too…
- Toasted Coconut – just a few minutes in the oven will lightly toast them.
Enjoy a slice of heaven… just happens to be Vegan & Gluten Free!
Cheers to a delicious Thanksgiving,
Chocolate Caramel Pie with Granola Coconut Crust - Vegan
Press-In Granola Crust
- 1 3/4 cups granola (gluten free) see my recipe!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil I use organic
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes* make 1/2 cup total; 1/4 cup for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk full fat not "lite"
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips I use Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 4 tablespoons filtered water
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot starch*
- 1 1/2 tablespoon filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt I use pink Himalayan
Press-In Granola Crust
- Grind 1 cup of granola and 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes in a food processor (I used a 4 cup one) until fine-small crumbs, like graham cracker crumbs. Melt 2 T. of coconut oil.
- Add the Granola crumbs to a medium sized bowl. Process the last 3/4 cup of granola into a little larger pieces, with more texture. Add the coconut oil and last batch of coarser granola to the bowl. Mix to combine all. Press into the pie pan, making a 1″ high edge. Freeze until firm, 15 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups coconut to a 3 quart pot. Bring to a simmer, take off heat. Add chocolate chips and stir with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add vanilla extract, mix in. Remove the granola crust from the freezer and pour in the chocolate mixture, smooth the top. refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- While the chocolate layer sets, make the caramel layer. Combine the 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot and 1 1/2 water in a small bowl and combine with a fork - set aside.
- In a 8" skillet add the 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar and 4 tablespoons water. Bring to a simmer stirring. Cook for 3 minutes at a low simmer - the sugar will be dissolved. Add 3/4 cup coconut milk, bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Combine the 1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot and 1 1/2 water in a small bowl and combine with a fork. Add the arrowroot mixture to the pan, whisking quickly with a wire whisk - will thicken easily! Cook until thickened and set - 1 minute. Take off heat and add the vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract) and sea salt; mix in. Let cool.
Finish the Pie:
- When caramel is cool (no longer warm), take pie out of the refrigerator and add the caramel on top - I left a circle open exposing some chocolate (see photo.) To Garnish: Top the pie with Coconut Whipped Cream (recipe below) in rosettes around the edge of the pie. Fill in with a row of Honey Peanuts. Add reserved Toasted Coconut Flakes on top of the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate the pie until ready to serve. Can make a day ahead. If made a few days ahead- add peanuts before serving so they do not get soggy. Yes the pie can be frozen - place in the refrigerator a few hours before serving.
Coconut Whipped Cream: Refrigerate a can of coconut milk overnight. Scoop out 1/2 cup of top thick layer, add to a small - medium sized bowl. Add 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Using a balloon wire whisk - beat the coconut cream until thick. Alternately, use a stick immersion blender. Refrigerate if not using immediately. *Arrowroot Starch: a gluten free thickener, leaves a sauce clear and glossy. Has 2 times the thickening power compared to cornstarch. This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.