A healthy soup with a creamy texture from the celery root (celeriac) and potatoes. Delicious and Silky Smooth. Dairy Free. Add a swirl of Cashew Cream for a decorative touch. Vegan.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or unsalted butter if not Vegan.)
- 1 cup leeks, whites and light green only
- 2 cups celery root (celeriac), peeled, 1/2″ dice (how to peel it*)
- 1 cup yukon gold potatoes, peeled, 1/2 ” dice
- ½ cup red bell pepper, fresh or roasted, 1/2 “dice
- ½ fresh carrots, peeled 1/2 ” dice
- 5 ½ cups homemade vegetable broth (or homemade chicken broth if not Vegan.)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (fresh cracked to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2, 5″ pita breads
- 1 tablespoon oil, neutral or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic cloves, peeled, finely minced
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper (fresh cracked to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika, or regular paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons parsley leaves, cleaned, dried and chopped fine
Wash leeks well and chop them 1/2″ dice.
In a 4 quart soup pot, melt the olive oil (or butter) and cook (sweat) the leeks over low-medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, but do not color.
Add the celeriac* to the pot and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring. Add the pepper, salt, chili powder, and then the chicken broth.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
Cook for 15 minutes and check to see if the vegetables are softening.
Add the red peppers and carrots and simmer until the vegetables are softened and the flavors have blended (about 10 minutes more.)
Cool slightly and puree until smooth with an emersion blender right in the pot, or transfer soup to a blender.
Gently reheat the soup when ready to serve.
*How to peel a celery root: Cut the root in half. Cut away hanging roots. Remove outer layer with a sharp peeler or a small sharp knife. Dice – if making ahead of time, add to a bowl of lemon water, drain when using.
To make Garlic Pita Croutons:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Blend together the oil and garlic in a small bowl. Add the seasonings. Split the pita breads in half, and cut each in half (4 pieces.)
Brush on the garlic mixture evenly, and cut each piece into 1″ triangles.
Place them on a baking sheet (line with foil for easy clean up.)
Bake in oven until lightly browned, about 8 – 10 minutes.
Add the parsley to the pita croutons, mix to adhere.
Lightly crush the pita croutons and sprinkle them over the warm soup.
Garnish with garlic chives or the herb of your choice.
Cashew Crema Swirl:
To the carafe of a blender: Add 1/2 soaked raw cashews (soak 4 hours or overnight; drain) with 1/4 cup coconut milk and 1/4 cup filtered water.
Add flavorings: 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup, a pinch of sea salt and a big pinch of cinnamon.
Blend all on low to high speed until very creamy and smooth, about 30 seconds.
Remove to a clean glass bowl or container. Refrigerate if not using within an hour. Will stay for about 5 days.
Add more water if necessary, as the crema can thicken.
SEE BLOG FOR MY FAVORITE WINTER SOUP RECIPES!
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Servings: 6 bowls or 4 smaller bowls