A Herbal Pistou ~ Basil, Kale and Chives with garlic and extra virgin olive oil processed to a creamy paste.
Adds a zesty and flavorful essence to soups, brushetta, pasta, vegetables and more!
Similar to Pesto, but without nuts. Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese is optional…delicious without.
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup fresh kale, cleaned, dried, all ribs removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, cleaned and dried
- 2 medium fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- ⅓ cups extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmegiano reggiano, grated (optional) omit for Vegan
In a small, 4 cup food processor, add the first 5 ingredients. Pulse to blend all.
Add olive oil in two additions and blend until smooth.
Add parmesan if desired, pulse in.
Store in a clean glass container with a tight lid in the refrigerator.
For longer storage, pour a film of olive oil over the top.
Pistou can be stored for later use – add 2 tablespoons into each cavities of small ice cube trays. Freeze. Defrost each when ready to use.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Makes just over 1/2 cup
Makes: just over 1/2 cup
Great with: Mediterranean Vegetable Soup (see recipe)