Serve steamed or pan-fried. Vegan and delicious!
- 4 ounces tempeh, 1/2 of a package
- ¼ block firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons roasted peanut oil
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ cup yellow squash, cleaned and grated
- ½ cup zucchini, cleaned and grated
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup bok choy cabbage, cleaned, dried and chopped thinly
- 1 cup fresh kale, cleaned, dried and chopped thinly
- 2 teaspoons tamari sauce, or organic soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon cane sugar, or light brown sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt, optional
- 36 round dumpling wrappers
Slice the tempeh into 3 pieces, gently steam in water for 10 minutes, cook then chop into 1/4″ cubes.
Clean and slice vegetables. Heat a large cast iron or stick proof skillet. Heat 1t. peanut oil over high heat. When hot, add the tempeh, stir fry 1 minute until golden.
Add 1 t. peanut oil and the tofu, stir 1 minute. Add the ginger and garlic, reduce heat to medium – low. Stir 30 seconds to release their flavors. Add the yellow squash and zucchini, stir 1 minute, Add the carrots, stir in, then add the cabbage and kale. Saute all together for 1 minute. Add the tamari sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and sugar and stir together for 1 minute more. Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate the filling.
Place the dumpling wrappers in a work surface, along with the filling and a small bowl of water. Using a pastry brush, brush the outside of a dumpling wrapper with water. Add a heaping teaspoon of filling, enclose, folding in half. Pinch closed, and make 5 pleats with your fingers on the top rounded portion of each dumpling (see photo with Blog). Place on a waxed paper lined large plate.
Continue until filling is used up. Cover the folded dumplings with a damp paper towel as to make them. Place ample water in a steamer, when hot, add the dumplings into a basket steamer and cook over medium heat until the dough is translucent, and the filling is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately with my Crispy Shallot and Garlic Dipping Sauce.
To pan fry: Cool dumplings. Add a tablespoon or two of neutral oil in a stick proof skillet. Place heat on high, cook until golden brown and crispy.
Servings : About 6, 36 dumplings