- 3 medium farm fresh zucchini, cleaned, cut into batonettes
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil*
- ½ cup walnut halves, red and english (brown)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, peeled, sliced thinly
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup walnut oil
- rind of half fresh lemon, finely grated
- ¼ cup green and black olives, pitted, halved
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta, cooked al dente, preferably non gmo
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ⅓ cup aged cheese, shaved, such as grana padano
**with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the zucchini on a rimmed baking pan with 2 t. of oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and roast in the oven until darkened and very golden on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Stir up with a metal spatula and continue to roast until golden all over, about another 10 minutes. Cool.
Cook the pasta, drain (nice to add to the sauce below when it is warm).
Dry toast the walnut halves in a skillet over medium heat, shaking often. Add the sliced garlic, pepper and walnut oil. Cook all over medium heat until the garlic is just coloring and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon rind and olive halves.
Add the warm pasta in a serving bowl to fit. Add the zucchini to the skillet sauce and stir.
Pour over the pasta, add the vinegar, sea salt and top with the shaved aged cheese.
Serve with some fresh snipped herbs of your choice.
Great the next day cold too!
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of it’s author, Karen Sheer.