All the flavor without the guilt – A low-carb dream pizza bursting with flavor. Gluten-Free.
No need to heat up the kitchen in Summer ~ grill the crust outdoors.
A great recipe for the summer ~ crust cooks on the grill… no need to heat the oven to 500 degrees. Further crisp the crust under the broiler for a few minutes.
- 4 cups shredded zucchini, skin on (cleaned and dried – can use part golden zucchini
- ¼ cup onion, peeled, grated fine
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup shredded cheese, half parmesan, half fontina (or mozarella)
- ⅓ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and finely grated, or minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings, (dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs, thyme, parsley or rosemary
- ½ cup marinara sauce, your favorite variety
- 20 small cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or quartered
- ½ cup grated or sliced cheese, half parmesan, half fontina (or mozarella)
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, small green & purple basil leaves, or your choice
grilled kale (optional) torn into pieces
Recipe is for four small 6 ” pizzas or two 12″ pizzas.
Parchment paper under the foil insures it does not stick!
Grate the zucchini using the large holes of your box grater.
Add onion, to zucchini, place in a large strainer to fit. Add salt toss well. Set aside in the sink for 20 minutes.
Ring the zucchini dry in a large, clean kitchen towel.
The recipe success will depend on how DRY the zucchini is. When it’s rung dry, add half to paper towels – ring dry some more, then repeat with next half.
Whisk egg in large bowl. Add the DRY zucchini and onion mixture with remaining ingredients for the crust:
1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1/3 cup gluten-free flour blend, garlic, Italian seasonings and fresh herbs.
Mix together with a wooden spoon until a dough is formed.
Heat your grill to medium heat.
Divide the dough in half for two 12″ pizzas, or in four portions for four- 6 ” pizzas.
Cut circles of parchment paper the size of the pizzas. Place the circles on top of doubled heavy foil.
Oil the parchment with neutral oil, then add the zucchini dough smoothing it thinly over the parchment. Build up a little crust edge. Should be less than 1/4″ thick.
When hot, add the pizzas on the foil to the grill and close it.
Cook – checking until the bottom of the crusts are golden brown.. not light colored to burnt!
This will take about 5 minutes over moderate heat.
Remove to a baking sheet, bring in to the kitchen.
Preheat the broiler. Broil the crusts 8″ from the heat source to dry out the top and crisp it, about 5 minutes.
Should be golden brown.
Let the crust cool – this lets it crisp up.
To serve, preheat broiler.
Top the pizzas with sauce, then cheese, then tomatoes and herbs (and kale if using.)
Broil 8 ” from heat source until the cheese has melted and all is warmed.
Cut into wedges and serve.
Pleas see BLOG for step by step photos and more information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.