“Mojo” Chicken is bursting with Zesty-Infused flavors. Your new go-to marinade for the ultimate intensity on the grill.
- 1 3 1/2 pound chicken, natural, such as Bell & Evans
- 6 medium fresh garlic cloves, peeled, about 2 1/2 T.
- 1 teaspoon orange AND lime rind, grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 medium shallot, peeled, about 1 1/2 T.
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, I used Himalayan
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, seeded, more if you like very spicy
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, or neutral oil*
Clean and dry the chicken.
To flatten the chicken, this is called “spatchcocking”, or butterflying:
With a sharp knife, (or a kitchen shear) cut out the backbone by running a sharp knife down each side if the back bone, discard or use for stock.
Flatten the chicken, skin side up by breaking the breastbone to lie flat. Slash the chicken – twice down each breast, twice in the thigh (this
allows the marinade to penetrate and cooks evenly.)
Make the marinade: Place the next 12 ingredients (garlic through oil) in a blender. Process until combined.
Can be leave a little texture, or blend smooth.
Pour half over the chicken (keep the remaining for another recipe**), massage in. Cover well and refrigerate over night, or at least 2 hours.
Preheat the grill to medium- high heat.
Brush grill with oil. Cook chicken, skin side down until dark in color. Watch CAREFULLY. The fat in the chicken will burn quickly.
When deep golden (sometimes just 5 minutes), turn over with tongs. Tuck some fresh oregano sprigs in the slashes of the meat if desired. Turn heat down to the lowest setting.
Cover the grill and cook until the chicken is juicy and done inside – 165 degrees in the thigh.
If the chicken is cooking too quickly on the second side (skin side up) – lay a piece of foil under the chicken.
Sprinkle with a little sea salt and serve with some line wedges. Enjoy!
For Chicken Salad: 6 servings
Mix together, or on individual plates – these ingredients:
6 – 8 cups baby lettuces
1 large red onion, cut in quarters and grilled with skin on
24 spears of fat asparagus, stalks peeled and grilled tender-crisp
1 recipe cornbread croutons
1 recipe shaken italian vinaigrette (will have extra)
1 recipe Mojo Chicken (above, torn, then cut in slices off the bone
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”.
** Use Mojo Marinade for Vegetables, Meat and Seafood (never marinade seafood far in advance, the acids will cook the fish before grilling.)
Servings: 4 -6