These nachos is very satisfying and craveable. Fresh Cherry Salsa adds tart-sweet and spicy notes – addicting!!
- 6 ounces Tortilla Chips*
- 1 ¼ cups monterey jack cheese, grated
- ½ cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Fresh Cherry Salsa, see recipe
- 12 slices charred jalapeño, see recipe
- opal and green basil leaves for garnish
Make the Fresh Cherry Salsa.
Char the jalapeño:
Rub with a small amount of neutral oil and char in a skillet over high heat, turn with tongs for even blackening.
Cool slightly, cut off the top and stem, seed with a small pairing knife.
Cut into thin rings. Use all or half of the slices, depending on your taste.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place the tortilla chips in a bowl to hold (half of a 12 oz. bag.)
Use a decorative metal baking pan, one appropriate for a broiler – 12″ round or square.
I have used a vintage Dansk Enamel coated cast iron round pan.
Place 1/3 of the chips to cover the bottom of the pan.
Top with 1/3 of both cheeses.
Add another layer of 1/3 chips evenly to cover, 1/3 of the cheeses and 1/4 cup of Fresh Cherry Salsa – dotting all around.
Top with the last layer of chips, cheese and salsa.
Add the jalapeño slices on top.
Bake for 10 minutes until bubbly, crisp, and just getting brown around the edges.
Broil for a few seconds if desirable.
Garnish with opal and green basil leaves.
* use Non-gmo or Organic Tortilla Chips. ( I have used artisan ally crafted Mi Niña Volcanic Stone Ground Corn White Corn Tortilla Chips, non-gmo, low in sodium)
See BLOG for more photos and information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer
Servings: 4 (appetizer portions)
Recipe can be easily doubled.