Karen’s Revamped Korean Egg Sandwich with Gochugaru Sauce
In between toasted Challah Bread lies Creamy Eggs, Shiitake “Bacon”, Sesame Kale Crisps, Cheddar Cheese and a Gochugaru Sauce.
Your next favorite Brunch Dish ~ All the elements melt in your mouth surrounded by buttery crispy bread.
My riff on this egg sandwich is named after the South Korean restaurant, Egg Drop.
A Vegetarian Version replacing pork bacon with “shiitake” bacon (I Love these!)
The sandwich hits all the senses!
Crispy and Buttery Bread with Melted Cheddar Cheese surrounds creamy Warm Eggs, Crisp Shiitake “Bacon” and Crunchy Sesame Kale Leaves. Finished with a Gochugaru Sauce (made with my Mild Gochujang Mild Hot Sauce) for a creamy touch with Zesty Heat.
You can play a bit with the ingredients, but I think this is the perfect mouthwatering sandwich!
Ingredients for this Addictive Sandwich:
- 2 Thick slices Challah or Brioche Bread (rectangular pan shape) ~ Will cut each almost in half for 2 sandwiches
- Thin sliced Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Karen’s Shiitake “Bacon”
- Sesame Kale Crisps
- Creamy Scrambled Eggs
- Gochujang Sauce
I’m stuffing these sandwiches into paper vegetables baskets.
The sauce is a mix of my amazing Mild Gochujang Chili Hot Sauce whisked with Mayo… no chemical additives when you make it yourself!
Karen’s Mild Gochujang Chili Hot Sauce is made Gochugaru Chile Flakes… and they are spicy!
I use a small amount in my hot sauce ~ so it’s flavor is mildly-spicy.
Gochugaru Chile powder (a key ingredient in kimchi) has a different flavor profile from the chile powder you typically find on Western supermarket shelves. It’s not too fiery-spicy, but it has more of a continuous, long-lasting heat with more fruity, smokey and sweet tones.
These dried chiles vary in size ranging from powder to flakes.
These are delicious, and I store them in the resealable pouch in my freezer! I recommend Boise Salt Co. Korean Gochugaru Chile Flakes.
Very fresh, great color & flavor and a steal at $6.95!
Nothing gets better than this sandwich!
Karen’s Revamped Vegetarian Korean Egg Sandwich
- 2 large slices slices Challah or Brioche Bread 3" wide from a square pan loaf (will cut in half (see note*)
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter I use Organic
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 recipe Karen’s Shiitake Mushroom “Bacon” VEGAN see recipe
- 1/2 cup baby kale leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon neutral oil or extra virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese about 1/4 cup
- 3 large eggs I use pasture raised
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 pinch each: sea salt & sugar
- 1 teaspoon Karen's Mild Gochujang Chili Hot Sauce see recipe
- 2 teaspoon mayonnaise
- Recipes to make ahead: Karen’s Shiitake Mushroom “Bacon” VEGAN and Karen's Mild Gochujang Chili Hot Sauce, or use you favorite hot or sriracha sauce.
Baby Kale Crisps:
- Easy: preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add kale leaves to a small bowl. Add oil and massage into the leaves, sprinkle in sesame seeds, stir with hands and lay them onto a baking sheet separated into one layer. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes until very crisp but not browned. Reserve.
Make the Gochujang Mayo:
- Whisk together the Gochujang hot sauce and mayo, set aside. For a thicker sauce add more mayo.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise - Cut each piece ALMOST all the way through, creating a "V" like pocket.Melt butter, add garlic powder. Heat a stick proof skillet to moderate heat. Brush the outsides of both pieces of bread with the butter (can us more butter if you like.) Add both pieces of bread to the pan. Cook until toasty and golden brown, flip over, repeat - remove to a plate. Reserve.
Cook the Eggs:
- Heat a 6" stick proof skillet - add a few drops of oil. Whisk the eggs with the milk, salt & sugar. Add to pan and scramble over moderate heat. When half way cooked, stop scrambling and let the eggs set another minute. (Makes a nice set egg.) Add the warm eggs in-between both breads in the center - add cheese to one side of the bread and let melt a little.
Finish the Sandwich:
- Add crispy kale leaves and shiitake mushrooms to each sandwich.
- Top with a good drizzle of Gochujang Mayo and enjoy! For some extra heat - drizzle on some Gochujang Hot Sauce and some Gochugaru chiles flakes.