An assertive and zesty vinaigrette with Purple Scallions (can use shallots or red onion) with delicious Garlic Scapes
Green Garlic Scapes; the curly shoot of the garlic bulb… they’re like scallions with a garlic kick! Look for them at your local Farmers’ Market.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons purple scallions (can use shallots to red onion)
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and minced or finely grated
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Scapes – minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil or neutral oil*
- Garnish: I like to add an additional tablespoon of thinly slice garlic scapes to the vinaigrette when using
In a medium sized bowl add the first 8 ingredients (vinegar through garlic scapes.)
Let stand 15 minutes to macerate.
Measure the oil in a pyrex cup (it’s easier to drizzle in!)
SLOWLY add the oil in a narrow stream while stirring quickly with a wire balloon whisk.
Continue until all the oil is added and emulsified.
Store in a great glass container in the refrigerator. Will last at least 2 weeks.
*Neutral oil: with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed.”
See BLOG for many more photos and information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
See my CATALOG OF WELL TESTED RECIPES HERE:
Makes: 3/4 cup