A Mexican style rich stew with chicken, lots of vegetables, spices, tomatoes, chiles, sesame seeds, cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate. An Instant Pot (easy pressure cooker) produces succulent ingredients.
A one-pot meal… it’s all in there ~ chicken, vegetables, garbanzo beans and a complex just-spicy-enough mole sauce.
- 1 ¼ pound boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat, cut into 1 1/2″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup onion, peeled, 1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh peppers, multi colored, 1″ chunks
- ¾ cup fresh carrots, 1″ chunks (I used orange & yellow carrots)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons chipotle in adobe, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons almond butter, smooth or chunky
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes in juice (I used Pomi brand)
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar, optional
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate, chopped, 88% cocoa
- 1 ¼ cup filtered water
- 1 cup zucchini, 1″ pieces, yellow or green
- ½ cup garbanzo beans, cooked, drained
Instant Pot Directions:
Set the Instant pot to Sauté mode. Add olive oil.
Add smoked paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin to the chicken and mix in.
Add chicken to pot and let get lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring a bit.
Remove chicken to a plate, set aside.
Add onions and garlic to the pot and sauté 2 minutes. (Add a touch of olive oil if needed.)
Add the next 6 ingredients (peppers through chipotles) AND the reserved 1 t. cumin – sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the almond butter, chopped tomatoes, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate. Give a big stir.
Still on Sauté mode, stir all until the flavors blend and the chocolate has melted.
Add 1 1/4 cup of water (Instant Pot needs a certain amount liquid) and zucchini.
Stir all together. Turn machine off.
Place the top on the Instant Pot. Set cook time at 8 minutes: Pressure Cook – High.
Place the valve on Sealing mode.
The machine will warm up then will start to count down when pressure cooking is ready.
After it beeps, and the chicken is done, carefully move the top knob on the cover to “Quick Release.”
Lots of steam will come out.
When the silver dot drops, immediately take off the cover.
Add garbanzo beans, stir up the Chicken Mole gently – will thicken a bit while it cools.
Portion into individual serving bowls.
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and thinly sliced scallions or jalapeño slices.
See BLOG for more photos and .
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Also see Stovetop recipe!
You might also love: