The Ultimate Anti-Oxidant Salad Bursting with Color and Flavor… It’s Berry-Good!
- 2 cups cooked Kaniwa, from 2/3 cup dry Kaniwa
- ¾ cup natural sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup dried blueberries, divided
- 2 cups fresh curly kale, cleaned, stemmed and torn
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, cleaned and dried
Cook the kaniwa as package directs. After cooking, remove from the stove and leave top on until slightly cooled.
* Toast the almonds in a skillet with 1t. butter or neutral oil until lightly toasted, set aside (butter is really yummy!)
Make the dressing:
Whisk together the honey, dijon mustard, garlic, shallots, pomegranate juice and red wine vinegar in a large bowl.
Mix in 2 T. of the dried blueberries. Let stand 15 minutes to macerate.
Whisk in the olive oil slowly to emulsify.
Add the kale, mix in well. Then add the rest of the ingredients, almonds, fresh blueberries and reserved dried blueberries.
Toss all well and refrigerate, covered. Ready to serve after 1 hour, when the flavors have blended.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.