The ultimate grilled potato side dish. Perfectly seasoned with caramelized shallots and garlic… and kale that comes out crispy!
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, organic if available
- 3 large leaves curly red kale, organic, cleaned, stemmed – torn into 2″ pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or neutral oil*
- ½ teaspoon flaky salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- 1 medium shallot, peeled 1/3″ round slices
- 3 medium fresh garlic cloves, peeled, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated zest from 1 medium lemon
- balsamic glaze**
Steam, Toss, Fold, Grill!
Preheat the grill to the high.
Scrub potatoes and steam in a basket with boiling water beneath, covered, for about 8 minutes (depending on size.) I have used 2 1/2″ lengths.
The potatoes should be mostly cooked through – give them a pinch, but still firm.
Remove from basket and place in the sink in a colander, run cold water over until cooled a bit.
Slice them in half lengthwise. Cut two sheets of heavy foil – 18″ x 16″ – place on a work surface. Add all cut potatoes evenly to foil sheets.
Add the rest of the ingredients over the potatoes on the 2 sheets:
kale, olive oil, salt, pepper, smoked paprika (if using), shallots, garlic and lemon rind.
With you hands blend all ingredients, coating all well.
Fold up packet to enclose all well into a 8″ x 10″ flat packet. At this point you can set aside, or refrigerate and grill later.
Cook on the grill until golden and crusty on the bottom of the foil – Yes, quickly open a packet to check.
Re-crimp, and turn over and cook on the second size until golden and crusty.
Unfold the foil and serve immediately. Taste for salt.
Drizzle with Balsamic Glaze** if desired.
2 slices of crisp bacon, or turkey bacon, crumbled.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”.
In a small skillet, add 3T. balsamic vinegar, 2 t. coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar) and 3/4 t. minced garlic. Simmer over moderate heat until reduces by half to a glaze.
Drizzle over the cooked potatoes.
For a Smokey Flavor – Soak 3/4 cup wood chips in water for 1 hour, Drain, make a foil packet with chips inside, fold into a 4″ x 8″ rectangle. Puncture with holes. Place on hot coals or briquettes underneath the grates of the grill. Close the grill . Will start to smoke and add essence in 15 minutes.
4 – 6 Servings