Serve this dressing with my Heirloom Tomato and Melon Salad.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 pinches fresh cracked black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon sumac, (gives a nice zesty tang)
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar, (no caramel coloring)
- 4 medium dates, pitted and chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, or neutral oil*
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
In a small, non-reactive skillet, add the oil and garlic and sauté over low heat until softened, but not colored – 2 minutes.
Add the black pepper, sumac, balsamic vinegar and the dates, cover and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat, cool.
In a mini food processor – whirl the balsamic mixture until almost smooth. Pour into a small 2 cup bowl.
Add the salt and measure the oil. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified and thickened. Whisk in the water until the right consistency.
Store the dressing in a clean, glass container.
Great with Heirloom Tomato and Melon Salad.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of it’s author, Karen Sheer.
Servings : Makes about 3/4 cup