These skewers offer a nifty way to serve croutons!
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed with your fingers
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese OR Nutritional Yeast (fabulous for vegan)
- 16, 6″ skewers
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut crust off bread slices.
Cut each slice into 24 even cubes: 4 cuts lengthwise, 6 cuts wide.
Will have 48 cubes.
To a medium sized bowl add the remaining ingredients; olive oil, garlic, sea salt, oregano and either grated cheese or nutritional yeast.
Mash all together into paste.
Add the bread cubes. GENTLY toss with a rubber spatula to coat all the bread cubes.
Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper (for easy clean-up.)
Add 4 bread cubes to each skewer. Continue with all bread cubes and skewers.
Place skewers on pan. Bake in oven 10 minutes until golden around edges.
Turn skewers over, for even browning and cook 5 minutes longer.
Cooking time will depend on the size of each bread cube.
Cook until crisp, but not dark brown.
Makes: 16 skewers, 4 croutons on each. (Yes – you can half the recipe!)