A twist on the Spanish “Tortita” ~ these vegetable griddle cakes are delicious.. you can’t eat just one! With good-for you ingredients, chock full of zucchini, corn, scallions, jalapeño, feta, grated parmesan and a generous mound of fresh dill. Eat alone, with your favorite salsa, or, as my mother would do- sour cream.
- 2 cups fresh zucchini, yellow & green, 1/3″ dice
- 1 cup fresh corn kernals, off 1 ear of corn
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil*
- ⅓ cup fresh scallions, cleaned, chopped (lights & darks)
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh jalapeño , seeded and minced
- 2 medium fresh garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, (or all-purpose gluten-free flour blend – for a gluten-free recipe)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅔ cup cheese, 1/3 C. crumbled feta or cojita and 1/3 C. coarsely grated parmesan
- ⅓ cup fresh dill, cleaned, dried and chopped
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and stir until just coloring, about 3 minutes, stirring. Will still be crisp-tender.
Turn heat off, add the corn, scallions, jalapeño and scallions, stir to combine. Take off heat and cool.
Place the vegetables in a medium bowl to fit. Add the salt, pepper, 2 eggs and the yogurt. Mix well with a fork.
Add the flour and baking powder, blend.
To the bowl add the cheeses and dill. Mix well.
Heat a stick proof skillet with 1 1/2 T. oil, set to medium heat.
When hot, drop the batter in 2 1/2 T. dollops into the hot skillet. Cook over medium heat, turning when golden underneath. Turn one more time to insure they
are cooked throughout. Remove to a clean platter, and cook remaining tortitas.
Serve with sour cream and a dill sprig on each, or fresh salsa.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Different than other vegetable pancake recipes – the zucchini is first sauteed, then cooled before adding the other ingredients.
A more pronounced deep flavor. This Tortita is loaded with fresh dill, you can substitute your favorite herb.