IS BLACK THE NEW BROWN? The ultimate antioxidant salad loaded with great taste, texture and color.
- ¾ cup black rice, cooked, about 2 cups
- ½ cup red onion, 1/3″ slices
- 1 medium zucchini, or 1/2 yellow, 1/2 green, 1/3″ batonnetes
- ½ medium orange pepper, 1/3″ slices
- 7 medium asparagus spears, peeled
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed, 1″ lengths
- 1 cup lacinato kale, trimmed, thinly sliced
- ½ cup baby cucumber, diced
- 3 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup micro greens, or sprouts
- 1 cup feta cheese, 1/2 ” cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 recipe oregano-citrus vinaigrette*
Make the Oregano-Citrus Vinaigrette.
When rice has cooked, but still warm – toss with 3 T. of the vinaigrette to boost it’s flavor in a large bowl.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add the vegetables to a rimmed pan to fit – onion, zucchini, pepper and asparagus and toss with 2 t. olive oil and a pinch of salt.
Roast until lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Cut them into bite sized pieces, add to the rice bowl.
Add 1 T. of vinaigrette to the sliced kale, message in with your fingers, add to the rice bowl.
Add the other raw vegetables to the rice bowl; green beans, cucumbers, scallions and micro greens.
Toss the feta cubes with the chopped dill, add to the bowl.
Toss the salad with 1/2 of the reserved vinaigrette.
Cover and refrigerate the salad to blend the flavors, at least 1 hour.
Serve with some extra vinaigrette and enjoy.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.