Love hummus? Beetroot dip triumphs with flavor and color! There’s a new, healthy dip in town. Tips for building the ultimate vegetarian sandwich!
- 3 medium sized beets, trimmed and scrubbed
- 2 medium carrots, orange & purple, peeled, cut in half horizontally
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nut oil, such as walnut or hazelnut
- ½ teaspoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon orange rind, finely grated
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed, orange juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the beets on a large sheet of heavy foil. Drizzle with 1 t. olive oil and sprinkle with a little sea salt. Crimp the foil to seal, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes on a heavy pan to fit.
Take out of oven, open foil package and add the carrots.
Continue to roast for 30 more minutes until all is tender.
Remove from the oven, open the package.
When cool enough to handle, peel the beets.
Add all the ingredients – except one beet, to a food processor and blend well until mostly smooth.
Add the remaining beet and pulse, until a chunky texture is achieved. Taste for seasonings.
Refrigerate in a clean glass container with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil or nut oil.
Serve with pita bread wedges or your favorite crackers. A Great Vegan & Vegetarian Spread.
Suggestions for a Creamy Dip (additions):
Add 1/2 cup of one of these:
Silken Tofu, puréed (for Vegan)
Suggestions for Ultimate Sandwich:
– Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on sides of thick, country bread* – Rub a cut garlic clove over the oil for flavor.
– Toast or grill (I used a cast iron skillet with a weight) the bread.
– Smear with the Beetroot Spread – Top with slices of cheese (goat cheese pairs beautifully)
– Top with your favorite sprouts and greens (I used beetroot sprouts and arugula)
*Such as Balthazar Bread: Pain de Seigle, French Rye Sourdough
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Makes: 2 1/2 cups