Applesauce Streusel Loaf Cake – It’s Gluten Free
Delicious with Homemade Applesauce!
Using my panty ingredients – this satisfying loaf cake features an oat-streusel topping and is dotted with natural dried cranberries.
I’m craving comfort food right now – this loaf cakes smells marvelous as it bakes with hints of warm spices wafting through the kitchen. Comforting & Addictive!
Baked with healthful ingredients – (Yes – you can use regular flour too!)
I have added no-sugar dried cranberries that I found at Trader Joe’s, use the type you have, or substitute raisins, figs or dates.
Oat flour is a wonderful addition when gluten free baking ~ it behaves so much like wheat flour!
It’s absorbent and light, which helps cakes bake up as light and fluffy as they should.
You can purchase organic oat flour from Arrowhead Mills – or just add oats to a clean coffee grinder, or as I do ~ to a spice grinder, blitz and in a few seconds you have a fine oat flour!
I created this recipe during the COVID pandemic, and some ingredients are still hard to find. These pantry ingredients I had on hand… I grabbed a bunch of Pink Lady apples at the market and made a batch of my Homemade Applesauce – yes it turns pink from the skins! (It’s delicious on its own, I snack on it by the spoonful!)
I always love a good loaf cake! Not too sweet, gratifying, comforting and delicious… something yummy to snack on.
I’m loving the press-in Streusel Topping for a little crunch and interest.
Not loaded with fat & sugar… just the right amount of YUM.
Homemade Applesauce – My Favorite
– with a wonderful pink hue… not too sweet!
My favorite applesauce, a little apple peel adds a touch of pink color. Here with my Butternut Squash Latkes
Also see some Awesome Applesauce Recipes:
A super-satisfying treat you bake in donut tins. Decadent Glaze or Cinnamon-Sugar…your choice!
Delicious cakes with a bit of honey, these cakes are layered with sliced apples and a crumb topping.
Tastes like an apple crumb pie in a bar! Not too sweet with a touch of warm spices.
All smiles while baking!
Applesauce Streusel Loaf Cake - It's Gluten Free
For the batter:
- 1/2 cup neutral oil such as expeller pressed safflower oil
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar non GMO
- 1 large egg I use pasture raised
- 1 1/2 cups homemade applesauce (see my recipe!)
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour blend (can use regular flour too) Bob's Mill 1 to 1
- 1/2 cups oat flour* (finely ground oats= flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup dried natural cranberries (I used no-sugar)
- 2 tablespoon neutral oil such as expeller pressed safflower oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons oats
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Make the homemade applesauce (see my recipe) can also purchase.Make the Streusel: Combine Add all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Line a loaf pan with a strip of parchment paper, with an overhang on the short sides, for easy lift out. Brush all over with neutral oil.
- In a large bowl, add the first 4 ingredients (oil through egg), blend well with a wire whisk. Add applesauce, mix in.Add remaining 9 ingredients, mix in with a rubber spatula until combined well, but do not over-mix.
- Add batter to the prepared loaf pan, smooth the top. Add the streusel in tablespoons to cover the batter. Lightly press down. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes until the top is firm and slightly rounded. (A toothpick inserted inserted should come out clean.)
- Cool, take out of pan and continue to cool on a wire rack. Cut into thick slices and enjoy!The loaf cake freezes well, add waxed paper in between slices.