A velvety soup without dairy products… Parsnips and Yukon Gold Potatoes give the soup it’s creaminess when blended.
Parsnips and Yukon Gold Potatoes give the Vegan soup it’s creaminess when blended. Make these nifty Crispy Crouton Skewers to garnish the soup.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or organic coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled, cut 1/3″ dice
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ¼ teaspoon tumeric
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 big pinch smoked paprika, optional – give a bit of heat
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 4 cups parsnip, 1/3 ” dice – from 2 large parsnips
- 1 ½ cups yukon gold potato, scrubbed, 1/3″ dice – from 2 medium potatoes
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock* (or chicken stock for non vegan)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves, cleaned and dried, sliced into julienne – more for garnish
- 1 recipe “Crisp Crouton Skewers”
Make: “Crisp Crouton Skewers”
Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a six quart heavy pot.
Add onion and garlic, and cook over medium – low heat until translucent, five minutes. Add the seasonings – tumeric, pepper, pinch of smoked paprika and salt.
Stir one minute to release their flavors. Add the diced parsnip and potatoes. Stir for one minute to combine the flavors.
Add 5 1/2 cups of stock and rosemary.
Bring to a boil, then cover and cook at a simmer for 20 minutes.
The vegetables will be tender. Add the 3 cups of julienned spinach. Stir in. Immediately add half of the soup into a blender, and pulse until smooth. Alternately, use a immersion blender stick and puree half of the soup. Add a drop more stock if too thick.
Taste for salt – (this will depend on the saltiness of your broth.)
Pour into individual bowls. Top with a little julienned spinach and enjoy.
Garnish with Crispy Crouton Skewers (see recipe.)
* “Organic Better Than Bouillon” is recommended for a quick vegetable broth (just watch the salt content.)
See BLOG for many more photos and information.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer