Spring Asparagus teams with Black Beans, Goat Cheese and Sautéed Apples inside these Corn Tortilla Taquitos. Serve them with a Tomatillo Salsa Verde for ultimate meal or appetizer!
- 6 corn tortillas*, 6″ – 7″ size (find in health food stores, can substitute a corn & flour variety)
- 1 ½ teaspoons neutral oil*
- 1 medium sweet onions, peeled, medium dice
- 1 medium green apple, peeled, medium dice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeños, minced, more if you like spicy
- 6 spears asparagus, cleaned, trimed, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup cooked black beans
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 2 – 3 tablespoons neutral oil
For the filling:
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of neutral oil in a 9 ” skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions, apples and jalapeños for 5 minutes until softened but not colored.
Add the asparagus, stir for 2 minutes until they tender-crisp. Remove from heat to cool.
Add mixture to a medium sized bowl, add the black beans, goat cheese (in large chunks) and parsley. Gently mix to combine.
Roll the taquitos:
Heat a 9 ” skillet with a small amount of oil. Over low heat, add the corn tortillas turning each one with tongs to soften them. Continue, softening all the tortillas, adding more oil when needed – and stack them on a plate.
Lay out 3 tortillas on a cutting board. Using half of the mixture, portion the filling onto each tortilla. Roll up into a tight cylinder.
Repeat with remaining 3 tortillas.
Cook the taquitos:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat 2 tablespoons of neutral oil in a 9″ skillet, set to low – medium heat.
Add the taquitos seam side down, and cook them turning until crisp and golden, I turn them 3 times.
Remove them to a baking dish to hold. Bake in the oven until very crispy and golden, with a warmed filling, about 10 minutes.
Serve with Salsa Verde (see recipe.) Can cut each in half on an angle, or smaller wedges if you desire.
Other filling ideas:
Add some grilled, pulled chicken or spiced cooked shrimp.
Add vegetables you like to the vegetable sauté.. corn, kale, broccoli, peppers…
For vegan – add grilled and chopped tofu or tempeh, and substitute vegan cheese for the goat cheese.
* with concerns about gmo’s and processing of oils, use a vegetable oil which has not been chemically treated, this is called “expeller pressed”
* corn tortillas are gluten-free.
This recipe may not be reproduced without the consent of its author, Karen Sheer.
Makes 6 taquitos, recipe easily doubled.