The ultimate Veggie Burger with Falafel Seasonings and Lemon-Tahini Sauce
- 6 medium portobello mushroom caps, cleaned with a damp paper towel, about 12 ounces
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup onions, small dice
- 2 large fresh garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon marash pepper, or chili flakes
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- ¾ cup parsley leaves, cleaned, dried and coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 large egg*
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, warmed
- 2 tablespoons quick oats
- 1 tablespoon oat flour, or a gluten-free flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoons hemp seeds
Cut each mushroom into 5 even slices. Heat a cast iron skillet, add 1 1/2 T. olive oil. Add the mushroom slices and let brown over high heat.
When very golden on the first side, turn over with tongs. When the second side if golden, turn down the heat to low – add
the onions, garlic, cumin, coriander and pepper and sauté until the all is softened and the pan is dry, about 3 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture with garbanzo beans, parsley, sea salt and lemon rind to a food processor.
Pulse JUST TO COMBINE – 5 times until still chunky.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg. Add the warm rice**, and mash with a potato masher until the rice is gummy. This is the TRICK to a burger which holds together beautifully… and suitable for a grill.
Add the mushroom mixture, oatmeal and oat flour – and combine well.
Refrigerate the mushroom burger mixture for at least 2 hours until cold and firm, or up to one day.
Form 4 large or 6 medium burgers with your hands. Use burgers when they are well chilled.
Place the sesame seeds and hemp seeds on a small plate.
Roll the edges of the patties into the seed mixture, turning to coat.
Cook indoors on a oiled grill pan, or outdoor on a hot grill (gently oil patties), turning when the first side is well marked, and the burger is cooked through (a total of 5 minutes.)
* Vegan Egg Replacer: Whisk 1 tablespoon flax seed meal with 3 tablespoons warm water, let stand 10 minutes.
** Warm rice is the key to keeping the mixture together.
Tahini Sauce (see recipe), sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes and microgreens (or arugula leaves.)
Servings: 4 large patties, or 6 medium-sized