Karen’s Easy Baked Chicken Breast with Mustard, Apples & Honey
Juicy & Tender Chicken Breasts that are simple to prepare with wonderful complimentary flavors. Marinate, Season, top with Apple Slices & Bake. I’m LOVING the 3 ingredient Apple Cider Sauce for drizzling.
Three Easy Steps:
- Marinate the chicken in Coconut Milk and Grated Garlic
- Season the chicken with spices, a coating of grainy mustard and sliced apples
- Bake the chicken @ 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes (depends on the size of your chicken.)
- Make an easy Drizzling Sauce: Reduce Fresh Apple Cider with a cinnamon stick, and Coconut Cream (the thick part from the can.)
The seasonings: Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika & Sea Salt.
Why Use Local Raw Honey:
Local Honey has healing properties and helps with seasonal allergies. It also reduces the lifespan of colds! Local honey is an antioxidant powerhouse as well.
Raw Honey is the only one I buy. Many of the health benefits of honey are lost when it is filtered and heated to high temperatures.
Rosh Hashanah – the Jewish New Year – it’s traditional to dip apples in honey to symbolize the hope for a sweet year ahead. This recipe can be considered kosher (if kosher ingredients used), as coconut milk is non a dairy product.
Enjoy this recipe!
Let me know when you have made it.
Karen's Easy Baked Chicken Breast with Mustard, Apples & Honey
Marinating the Chicken:
- 2.25 pounds chicken breasts 4 large boneless, skinless, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 cup coconut milk not "lite"
- 1 medium garlic clove peeled and grated (or minced)
Topping the Chicken:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 large apple* to be peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons raw local honey
Under & Over the Chicken
- 1 teaspoon extra (for bottom of the pan)
Apple Cider Sauce:
- 3/4 cup fresh apple cider (without preservatives; apples only)
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream (the thick part from the can)
Marinate the Chicken:
- Wash and dry chicken. Add to a bowl, or large ziplock bag. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk and grated garlic, mix to combine, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I used "convection bake.) Place a piece of parchment paper on a rimmed sheet pan. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to the paper and spread with a pastry brush.Drain the chicken from the marinade and add chicken on the pan (discard marinade.
- Combine garlic powder, smoked paprika & salt - sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Spread each with 1 teaspoon grainy mustard, and smooth to coat.Peel and core the apple, and slice thinly - about 1/8". Top chicken with apples slightly overlapping, about 6 apples slices on each.
- Drizzle honey over the 4 chicken breasts in the pan, lightly sprinkle the tops with sea salt.Bake the chicken until cooked through 20 - 25 minutes (a few minutes more for regular oven.) Use digital thermometer to test doneness: 165 degrees. Remove from oven, cool a few minutes, slice chicken on the diagonal in 1/2 " slices and serve. Pan juice are delicious to spoon on top.
Apple Cider Sauce:
- So easy! Add apple cider a small 2 cup pot. Reduce over a moderate simmer until 1/3 cup is left and thickened (about 5 minutes.) Add 3 tablespoons coconut cream (not coco lopez!) and heat to combine. Sauce should be pourable and nicely thickened. Drizzle over sliced chicken - add chopped parsley if desired.
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight - coconut cream will be thick on top - use this for the sauce - stir can and use the rest for the marinade.