Nothing better than really fresh fish with a wonderful vegetable preparation. Sea Bass has a meaty texture and pairs well with the Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Salad in a Zesty Vinaigrette
This recipe has a Mediterranean feel, lack of dairy and loaded with local vegetables.
- 1 ½ – 2 pounds sea bass fillet, skin removed (not Chilean sea bass)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 pound
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled, small dice
- ¼ cup good red wine vinegar, I’ve used Pinot Nior
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure cane sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 shakes cayenne pepper
- 1 cup colorful cherry tomatoes, washed, dried, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves, optional (extra thyme & rosemary sprigs for garnish)
Overview for the recipe:
Grill the eggplant slices; marinate and grill the fish.
Make a vinaigrette sauce – add remaining ingredients and cubes of grilled eggplant.
Serve over fish.
First Step, The Sauce – which is like a Chunky Vinaigrette:
Place the 1/3 cup olive oil in a small pot, add garlic cloves. Bring to a bare simmer and cook garlic at the lowest setting until soft and just a touch golden, 5 – 7 minutes.
Remove from heat, set aside.
In a large bowl, add shallots, red wine vinegar, pepper, sea salt, sugar, thyme, rosemary and cayenne pepper. Still well.
Chop the cooked garlic to a fine dice, add to the bowl.
Let macerate for 30 minutes to blend the flavors and macerate.
Second Step, For the Fish:
Clean and dry the fish. Cut into 2 pieces, add to a plate.
Top with 2 t. olive oil and smother with the teaspoon of fresh thyme sprigs.
Rub in sea salt and fresh cracked pepper all over to taste.
Clean and dry eggplant, cut off the stem, trim the end. Cut into 3/4″ circles. Place on a plate to hold.
Brush 1 1/2 T. olive oil on both sides. Add salt and pepper to taste, rub in.
Grill Eggplant and Fish:
Set grill to medium – high heat.
Add the eggplant slices, and fish (to another side of the grill.)
Cook eggplant unto strong grill marks form, turn over with tongs, turn heat down to medium and cook until golden on both sides and tender. Remove to the plate.
Cook fish over medium – high heat. Let get a really good color on the first side.
Turnover with tongs and, turn heat down to medium. Cook until the fish is tender and cooked through. Do not overcook.
Remove to a clean plate.
Cut the eggplant into 1″ cubes, add to the large bowl of Vinaigrette with the cherry tomatoes and 1/3 cup of the garlic oil.
Mix well, taste for salt.
Plate the Fish. Spoon vegetables and sauce around.
Garnish with basil leaves, extra thyme and rosemary sprigs.
See BLOG for many more photos and more information.