A quick way to make vegetable stock, useful in many recipes. Stove top roast vegetables in a wok, add seasonings, water and simmer.
Roast and cook in one pot: saves a step and time!
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, cleaned, dried, rough chop
- 1 medium onion, peeled, rough chop
- ½ cup carrots, cleaned, rough chop
- ½ cup celery, cleaned, rough chop
- 1 medium red pepper, cleaned, rough chop
- 1 cup cabbage, cleaned, rough chop
- 1 medium zucchini, cleaned, rough chop
- 6 – 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 whole scallions, cleaned, rough chop
- 1 2′ ‘ fresh horseradish, peeled, cut in half (adds some heat)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ cup fresh parsley, cleaned
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt , or to taste
This list of ingredients is a guide, use any leftover or surplus of vegetables. I always include mushrooms, they lend an earthy flavor and strong color.
Cut, clean and dry all vegetables.
Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to a wok. Place over medium heat, add all vegetables and saute until vegetables are nicely browned, 5 minutes. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add salt. Cool, strain and pour into pint containers. Use within a few days, or freeze for another use.
Servings: 3 pints, 6 cups