A satisfying meal in a bowl.
Make your own tasty broth, decide on add ins; tofu and vegetables and simmer in the broth. Enhance the flavor with condiments (sweet – salty and sour.)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ large onion, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2″ piece fresh ginger, four slices
- 6 fresh cloves of garlic
- 1 large turnips, cleaned, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup carrots, cleaned, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, roughly chopped
- 1 large leeks, cleaned, 1″ pieces
- 1 medium cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ½ cup basil leaves, cleaned
- 1 small dried red chili, seeds discarded
- 2 strips lime rind
- 8 cups water
- 8 ounces rice noodles, such as “banh pho”
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 9 ounces organic firm tofu, cut into rectangles
- 1/2 block of tofu (cut into rectangles) 1/2 cup of a few julienned vegetables: snow peas, carrots, turnips, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach, baby bok choy and leeks.
- Slice some fresh mint and basil leaves
- Condiments: 2 t.lime juice, 1 T. fish sauce (no longer vegetarian) or hoisin sauce and 2 t. roasted chili and garlic paste.
Add oil to a wok or cast iron skillet. Heat to high add the onion and ginger, and stir fry until slightly blackened around the edges. Add the garlic, turnips, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and leeks – stir fry one minute. Add the next 5 ingredients, cinnamon stick through lime rind. Stir to blend, and add all contents to a soup pot – then add the 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer and cover. Cook for 1 hour.
Let cool slightly, then strain, pushing hard on the solids and pour broth back into the soup pot. Bring to a simmer.
Cook the rice noodles as the broth cooks, strain and set aside.
Now add the Condiments: 2 t. lime juice, 1 T. fish sauce (no longer vegetarian) or hoisin sauce and 2 t. roasted chili and garlic paste. Stir up well and add 1 teaspoon sea salt.
Decide on the add ins below and add to the simmering broth.
1/2 block of tofu (cut into rectangles) 1/2 cup of a few julienned vegetables (cleaned and dried): snow peas, carrots, turnips, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach, baby bok choy and leeks.
Add the rice noodles to the pot.
Simmer covered until all cooked through, just 5 minutes.
Taste the soup: Pay attention to the sweet/ salty / sour notes. Add more of the condiments to your taste.
Ladle into individual bowls.
Top with some slivered mint and basil leaves. Add fresh bean sprouts for extra crunch.
For added shrimp: Ladle 1 cup of stock into an 8″ skillet. Bring to a simmer, add 3 peeled and deveined shrimp per person. Cover and simmer slowly for just 3 minutes until coked through. Add to the pot of soup, or just to the portions of whomever is having shrimp.