- 1 pound skirt steak, cleaned, dried, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, peeled, minced
- 2 tablespoon tamari sauce, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, home made or Hellmans – can use “light mayonnaise”
- 1 tablespoon scallion, cleaned, minced
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- ⅛ teaspoon chili garlic sauce, or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 6 small boston lettuce leaves
- 6 slices ripe tomato
- 8 small soft rolls, cut in half
Skirt Steak : Combine Skirt steak with the next ingredients (oil through pepper) in a small bowl. Set aside for an hour, or overnight.
Heat a grill pan (cast iron is great) over high heat, add Skirt Steak, cook one side until strong grill marks, turn over with tongs, reduce heat to medium – low.
Cover with foil, and cook for a few minutes until medium rare. Cool and slice thinly on an angle. Season with a pinch of sea salt if desired.
Karen’s Special Sauce: Combine mayonnaise, scallion, ketchup, garlic chili sauce and cider vinegar in a small bowl until combined well.
Assembly: Toast the rolls in the oven. To the bottom half add 3 – 4 slices of shirt steak. Top with a portion of Sauteed Onions, some
Special Sauce, lettuce & tomato. Finish with top of roll and serve. Serve immediately.
Ultimately add the sliced steak to the rolls while still warm, the juices give the slider a nice flavor.
Makes 8 sliders